Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Water Switch -- Tank Empty -- I Have Three Red Lights

Looking for some guidance on dealing with what may be a malfunction of the black water tank level gauge. We have a 2018 Grand Design 2600 RB which we love. The only thing that has gone wrong on the first two ventures out is the black water level gauge. The last time I emptied the black water tank (and I am sure that everything came out of the tank) the gauge still showed 1/2 full (2 red lights). I figured that the level may have been fouled with something that used to be in the tank. I was hoping that driving the 2600RB home may have jarred whatever was fouling the gauge off the gauge and back into the tank. Much to my dismay, I now have three red lights showing (3/4 full) and it has not even been used since I last dumped it.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Should I fill the blackwater tank with water, put some appropriate solvent/cleaner in there to dissolve what may be causing the error. I live ninety miles from the closest Grand Design facility. I hate to have to take it in for something that appears to be minor that I could possibly fix myself.

Steve507
    Sequim, WA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a common issue, best guess is stuff gets stuck on sensor indicator making show incorrect readings , if you have a Nautilus water system switch water system to sanitize which will spray inside the black water tank, if not you can purchase a spray nozzle rod designed to put down toilet and spray inside black water tank to clean sensor and tank . It’s a good idea to make sure tank is full and use plenty of water when using toilet , we usually get at least 4/5 days before emptying tank with 2 of us . If you don’t wanna wait to get wand then fill black water tank and put some dawn / detergent in tank and drive around . Would suggest investing in spray wand if you don’t have black water tank sanitizer spray inside tank. You can always have one installed by local RV dealer NOT camping world

Bryan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank sensors are famous for not working. I just gave up years ago and don't pay any attention to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ What he said ^^^^

I do try to flush the probes good with the tank wash. Sometimes it works, and some times it doesn't.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful using Dawn (or anything like it) in the tanks. I tried this years back with a crazy/funny result. After adding Dawn and water I left to let soak for a while. Came back later to find soap suds/bubbles floating out the top of the RV through the vent pipe.

It was funny but turned out being a pain to clean up.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3.

There are improved sensors available that are (supposedly) less prone to fowling, as well as other measurement systems that can cost a few hundred dollars.

As Bryan said, use lots of water, spray the tank often, and learn what your limits are. My sense is that most RVers just live with it.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had several RVs. I’ve never had one that I could depend on the gauges to read correctly. I had a top of the line Winnebago with exterior tank sensors, after a couple days the tanks would all read full, even when 1/3
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara & Dave View Post

As Bryan said, use lots of water, spray the tank often, and learn what your limits are. My sense is that most RVers just live with it.
    If you look at other forums like RV.NET, you will see threads going back to the very beginning of time talking about the same thing. Think about what's down there, and what it must be like on the sensors. It's no wonder everyone encounters this eventually.

The best thing you can do is to hook up to the black tank flush with a hose with some really good pressure, and let it run for about an hour. I can say that in our case, it fixes it for a while - several weeks to almost 2 months. It will start happening again. I try to do that 2 or 3 times a year.

We live in ours full-time. Our daughter isn't potty trained yet, so it's just my wife and me. We know that we can go for over a week on the forward black tank at a time. You will get to know your setup over time. It's nice when the tank indicators work, but it's not the end of the world when they don't.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated, this is one of the most common issues reported by RVers. Search this and other forums such as Good Sam's (RV.net), Escapees, RV-Dreams, etc., for "geo method." This involves putting 1/2 cup of dishwashing detergent (I've never had the problem described above) and 1/2 cup of borax crystals (some also include 1/2 - 1 cup of bleach) in the black tank and then adding about 1/4 tank of fresh water via the tank flush before a travel day. These agents and the washing machine action of driving down our wonderful roads helps clean the sides of the tank and the sensors. After 26 months of full-timing, the top two sensors in our black tank still work and the top two sensors in one of the gray tanks still work (I guess there's a piece of spinach or something plastered to the sensors in the other gray tank...).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    As stated, this is one of the most common issues reported by RVers. Search this and other forums such as Good Sam's (RV.net), Escapees, RV-Dreams, etc., for "geo method." This involves putting 1/2 cup of dishwashing detergent (I've never had the problem described above) and 1/2 cup of borax crystals (some also include 1/2 - 1 cup of bleach) in the black tank and then adding about 1/4 tank of fresh water via the tank flush before a travel day. These agents and the washing machine action of driving down our wonderful roads helps clean the sides of the tank and the sensors. After 26 months of full-timing, the top two sensors in our black tank still work and the top two sensors in one of the gray tanks still work (I guess there's a piece of spinach or something plastered to the sensors in the other gray tank...).

Rob
    Right on. The Geo method actually works - at least most of the time. And when it doesn't, you know it is time for another "treatment."

There are several variations on the Geo method. I use Calgon water softner and the cheapest laundry detergent I can find. The theory is that the detergent cleans and the Calgon not only helps the detergent clean by softening the water, but it makes the inside of the tank slick so nothing sticks to it.

It not only keeps the sensors clean, but it keeps the tank clean and odor free. FWIW, all the expensive tank chemicals are nothing but perfume - these are *holding* tanks, not *septic* tanks and all the bugs in the world are not going to significantly break down the waste the way a true septic system does.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast