Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delam bulge and frame defect on new reflection Fifth Wheel

Just noticed this condition on front storage wall and damage to frame inside front storage compartment behind bulge when getting ready to close up from our seasonal stay. We took delivery of our 2018 Reflection 367bhs June 22nd. Fifth wheel has never been moved since delivery. Talked with service manager at the local dealer where we purchased camper and stated that this is common for Grand design?? Also stated he has seen this on 3 other Grand design units. Told us this could be fixed in 1 or 2 weeks at the dealer. Anyone else experiencing this? Find it hard to believe this can be fixed in 1 or 2 weeks. Also sent an email with pictures to customer support.

Would like to post pics here. What's the easiest way?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyray58 View Post

Would like to post pics here. What's the easiest way?
    Pay your $12 and become a site sponsor
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just to the right or left of the front storage compartment and directly in front of one of the jacks? If so, then yes it happened to me and it took a couple of days to fix. There is a bracket in there that broke on mine that had to be replaced. No more bulge.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Pay your $12 and become a site sponsor
    Thanks ...Just joined.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TFB176602 View Post
    Is it just to the right or left of the front storage compartment and directly in front of one of the jacks? If so, then yes it happened to me and it took a couple of days to fix. There is a bracket in there that broke on mine that had to be replaced. No more bulge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AArPz5V.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	10067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5882 - Copy - Copy.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	10068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5886.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	10069

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The area below the front cap is not laminated like the side and rear walls. It is more or less a skin. Mine has some play as well not really concerned. Not sure what frame issue you have after seeing the photo - may need to investigate that.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TFB176602 View Post
    I should say too that it only bulged when the jack behind the spot was down and weight was bearing upon it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Billyray58 - First of all . . . welcome to the forum!

As RVRunners describes, that panel is not "laminated" in the sense that the other walls are a composite laminate of outer skin, frame and inner skin . . . it is just a cover skin relatively loosely attached near the end of the assembly process. Still . . . it should not change shape when the landing gear is carrying the weight. The landing gear is clamped to the frame steel and should not interact with the aluminum frame of the body . . . unless it has slipped. Can you have a look and maybe take pictures of how the outer square tube of the landing gear is clamped to the steel structure inside the front compartment? Look for any witness marks of the landing gear square tube having slipped in its clamps and/or any other signs of bending or breaking in the steel frame.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I will look in the morning and upload some pictures. On a time crunch here since the camper was going to be pick up by a friend of mine to deliver it to a indoor rv storage for the winter here in upstate N.Y. Did not install a hitch yet since I also carry a slide in truck camper too and heading back to Texas. Dealer said based on these pictures shown they could fix it and would pick it up from storage facility end of April to do repair. Not sure I trust time frame of repair. Now concerned that I should have this addressed soon as possible. Most campgrounds close here by Monday.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Billyray - Upstate NY is not very far from the GDRV factory repair center in Indiana. Unless you really trust that your dealer can solve this, it might be worth discussing your pictures with the factory service folks with a view towards having them retrieve it and fix it properly.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast