User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 1210 Stopped Cooling Temporarily

Our fridge stopped cooling for a bit recently.

Details:

Norcold 1210 Refrigerator in a 2017 Reflection 337RLS purchased in April this year (manufactured in March 2017).

Camped at beach (high humidity), temps in the 70s and 80s, 60s at night.

The fridge temperature went up to 51 degrees while on 120 volt electric 1 evening on a setting of 5. A setting of 5 usually brings the fridge temperature down to the low to mid 30s.

We had just filled some ice trays, but had been doing that before on the trip without temperature spikes.

I do not have a temperature monitor in the freezer, but the ice cream in the left freezer was soupy, and the ice in the ice bucket in the right side was starting to melt.

Even though the burner was hot on electric I switched the fridge to gas only before bedtime, and the temperature only came down to 45 degrees by the next morning on a setting of 7.

I could hear the upper external fans operating.

I did several things at the same time the next morning that I thought might help, and maybe should have done individually to see which 1 worked:

I turned the fridge completely off for about 1/2 hour.

The outside condensate catch tray was completely full and overflowing. I emptied that.

I could still hear the upper external fans operating, but I did not pull the cover to check that area.

Within a couple of hours, the fridge temperature dropped to the mid 30s again, and the freezer was cold. I switched from gas to electric, and the temperature remained good.

Now to my questions:

Any ideas of what might have happened ??

Can these fridges get some type of vapor lock in the system ??

Could a full external condensate catch tray affect the heating element right beside of it ?? a bit of runoff from the catch tray had gone under the burner area.

Does this system really need an external condensate catch tray ?? I pulled the hose through the external fridge vent like we had on our older trailers on the trip home, and all seemed to work well.

Thanks in advance for any help with this intermittent problem.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had the answers. Our Norcold went out this past summer. The cooling unit would not keep proper temps. I tried some of the same things but with no luck. Had it replaced under extended warranty. The top compartment where the heat is suppose to vent gets very warm, especially on hot days. The RV repairman said heat was the major culprit with this fridge. After the repair I placed a 4" desk fan in the lower left area of the fridge near the ac outlet. It was the only accessible area with a plug in. It's a small swivel unit that I was able to angle up to keep the hot air moving up and out the upper vent. The two fans in the upper area only come on at a set temp, which seems too high for my liking. Though the fan is small, I can definitely feel the warm air moving out the top vent.
    Hopefully this along with keeping the catch dry and the screens clean may avoid future issues.
    _

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reflection 315RL with the Norcold fridge. I bought the trailer April of 2017 used it for 3 months last year and 2 months this year. The Norcold 1210 fridge has stopped cooling all together. I talked with Grand Design warranty and I am over the one year mark and Norcold is only one year warranty. It is disappointing when you spend all this money to have a beautiful trailer and with 5 months actual use the fridge quits. I am very disappointed to say the least that the companies do not have better warranty for such critical components of the RV.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This company sells the "Amish Cooling Units". http://jc-refrigeration.com/

Note that these units are the cooling part of the fridge and not the whole box. They offer an Upgraded Gas/Electric Hybrid cooling unit and also a cooling unit with a compressor (think residential). Both options keep the existing box and the replacement cooling units can be installed without removing the box from the trailer.

I have no direct experience with these units - have just read about them on other RV forums and they get good reviews.
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS