Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane & furnace & fireplace for heat

I know this is one of those "how many angels can we fit on the head of a pin" questions, but I need some information.

Next year I will be selling my condo here in FL, and will be looking to live in my 313RLTS. In FL during the winter monthly rates are quite high but I've noticed some other gulf states (AL, MS, LA) have much lower rates - but no doubt I'll need to run the furnace. I've never filled a propane tank (not even on a grill, it's always been charcoal LOL) so when I just checked propane prices and I saw $3.99/gallon my eyes popped out of my head.

It's now got me wondering how long the 2 x 30 lb tanks last in a winter in S. Alabama, MS, etc. where average temps Jan-Mar are low-mid 40's. Being acclimated to SW FL temps for the last 15 years, we keep the house at 76 degrees year round. Also, how much heat does the fireplace (electrical) put out? I've actually never used either except when we tested it at PDI.

Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    ...It's now got me wondering how long the 2 x 30 lb tanks last in a winter in S. Alabama, MS, etc. where average temps Jan-Mar are low-mid 40's... Also, how much heat does the fireplace (electrical) put out?
    I'm not sure about southern Alabama but in Palm Springs last winter my propane usage looked like this:

Starting December 1st and ending March 30th:
    1st first tank lasted 19 days
    2nd tank lasted 14 days
    3rd tank lasted 11 days
    4th tank lasted 11 days
    5th tank lasted 11 days
    6th tank lasted 25 days

I just checked the low temps for last winter and they ranged from low 40's (Dec/Jan) to the 50's (late Feb/Mar). Afternoon temps were 70's and 80's (90's at times in March). As for the electric fireplace - it puts out enough to heat the RV at night no problem - to 65 degrees maybe. I don't know that it would heat it to 76 degrees with outside temps in the low 40's. Never tried that. We didn't use the fireplace for heat unless it was super cold at night because the place we stayed doesn't allow it. We also didn't use the furnace at night because it's too loud for me. But, when we woke up we cranked up the furnace. Our rig has dual pane windows which may help hold the heat in a bit better than standard windows but I doubt if it makes a huge difference. BTW, we shopped around a bit for propane as prices varied widely in the area and we found a place for $2.99/G.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all relevant....depends on the ambient temperature on the outside, how many times the door is opened, etc. etc.

I do think you're going to have a problem getting it up to 76F but your body will acclimate over a period of a couple of weeks. Even at 72F, you're going to go through the propane in the winter months.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been full-timing now for 3 years and do not stay in cold areas if at all possible, but with outside temps in the 40's, the fireplace alone will not keep the house at 76 degrees. It is really only a 1500 watt space heater. If you insist on those temps you'll need to use the furnace or buy a supplemental space heater to augment the fireplace.

Cost wise per BTU propane is typically cheaper than electric UNLESS you're getting free electric. However, most places we've been for longer stays with monthly rates have metered electric. We stayed in LA (Lower Alabama/ Robertsdale to be specific) for 5 weeks in November in 2014, and there were nights where it dropped into the 30's. We don't like it too hot when sleeping so set the furnace at 62, and at 68 when we're up. A 30lb propane bottle lasted about a week being used overnight each night. I'd also definitely shop around on price per gallon, too, as $3.99 is highway robbery right now in most southern areas. RV Parks are rarely the cheapest either so I often take my tanks to the local Propane business to be refilled. We've also found Tractor Supply to be competitive.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info. When I lived up north, I used to keep the house at 72º, so that's what I would target for.

I may forego the plan, and just stay down here in SW FL. While it's expensive, I know the area, and don't have to bother moving the boat and other things.

Thanks! That's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

-Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the fireplace to keep the chill away and then use a supplemental electric portable space heater when we go to bed. No propane use that way.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are places in FL where you can stay in an RV for a more reasonable price during winter. We spent two winters in the Ocala area and it was very competitive. We found several places for $500-$700 + utilities, and our utilities ran around $80 per month. Of course you can get coastal sites from $1000-$4000 a month too. The RV lifestyle is not inexpensive, though it can be made more so depending on the choices you make. In our case annually we spend close to what we did in a S&B between lots, utilities, insurance and if you figure the amortized cost of the rig. Of course we are saving $7k a year on property taxes. Good luck on your decision.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have never even used our furnace, despite many cold nights in the NE Georgia mountains. Our fireplace and a 1500 watt heater keep us warm enough. We move the Lasko cube heater into the front bedroom, and we are toasty.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We camp on the Oregon Coast in the winter. Temp's are between 29F to maybe 49. Electric is free so we run the fireplace on low (mostly because it is on the same 15A circuit as the refrigerator), a small cube heater in the bathroom also on low and if it's on the lower side a milkhouse heater on low in the garage. Most of the time only 2 heaters. The furnace might get turned on in the morning for 20 or 30 minutes to bring the rig back up to 72 or so quicker then the 3rd heater.

We always have the bathroom vent open to let the humidity out.

I think running more heaters on low is safer then maxing them and the circuit out on high.

If it's going to be below 29 I put a electric oil radiator heater in the basement on low.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many RV parks in Arizona will set up seasonal campers with a 100# tank that just sits next to the RV and is tapped into the LP system. I don't know if they get a better rate on LP, but I assume they do. I suspect they may get the LP tanks serviced by a local LP vendor instead of from the park.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast