User Tag List

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foam mattresses, mold, and RV bed platforms

I'm writing this in the top-level General Discussion thread because it pertains to all lines and models of GD RVs (and probably most other manufacturers, as well).

We are full-time in our Reflection 337 and, about a year and a half ago, replaced the OEM mattress with a tri-foam mattress (foundation/support, memory, and cool gel on top). We really like the support and feel of the mattress but, over time, it has developed a propensity to "trough" with our weight and body heat overnight. We end up in the valley together (nice on chilly nights but not so much during the summer) and having to climb the hills to get out of bed in the morning. While researching and looking for a new mattress, we learned that air circulation and moisture control are well-known issues with foam mattresses on solid surfaces and mold is a very common problem - especially in RVs, boats, etc. Laura wanted to look at the underside of our current mattress and the bed platform and, lo and behold, there were the beginnings of mold or mildew (photo below - only on plywood and not mattress, though). While discussing options for ventilating under the mattress, she also wanted to see what was under the bed platform at the head of the bed - the part that's not the under-bed storage (also photo below). The bed platform looks worse than it is because it's still wet with Lysol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171013_1476 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	10084
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171013_1475 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	10085

We really don't want to go back to a conventional inner-spring mattress (have our hearts set on a Tufts & Needle foam mattress), but T&N recommends against putting their mattresses on a solid surface such as plywood. In fact, after they told me this, I found the same is true of most other makers of foam mattresses. The mattress info and sleep bloggers that aren't associated with a mattress company or manufacturer also say the same thing. We talked about devising some sort of slat system (time-consuming and complicated), using a hole saw on the plywood, etc., etc., but I wasn't liking any of those options. While waiting for the Lysol to dry and air out, I Googled "foam mattress solid surface prevent mold." There were several hits on various sites - from boating and RV forums to a couple of reseller sites - mentioning a product that goes by a couple of names. Here's what I've ordered to go under our new mattress:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html

It's not cheap (my order was for 9 linear feet and a total of $89.91), but I would have probably spent twice that on hardwood slats and still would have had the problem of figuring out how to make them work. If feel much better about moving forward with the new mattress and thought someone out there might be interested in what we've learned.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rob - Lot's of folks have encountered the same issue and I've seen the problem on multiple forums. Another solution is Dri-Dek boat tiles between the mattress and the wooden deck. They are a little more expensive than your solution, but offer superb air circulation properties.

https://www.amazon.com/Dri-Dek-Marin...ywords=drydeck

Jim

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Rob - Lot's of folks have encountered the same issue and I've seen the problem on multiple forums. Another solution is Dri-Dek boat tiles between the mattress and the wooden deck. They are a little more expensive than your solution, but offer superb air circulation properties.

https://www.amazon.com/Dri-Dek-Marin...ywords=drydeck

Jim
    You're right, Jim - pricey, but an elegant solution. Thanks.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used this foam mattress in 2 trailers and never had any mold issues.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJZ19CA

They even recommend putting it on a solid surface.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sleep number bed.