Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dish vs direct tv

As direct tv is trying to increase our monthly costs, talking to dish to see what they have.
    Like the fact that dish gives you HD with the dome antenna and to my knowledge dtv doesn’t
    Anyone have experience with dish and thoughts on switching?

Thanks
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We were in your position a few years ago John. I had DirecTv and loved it but I only would have HD on the road and wanted only a fully automatic dish so I changed my home to DISH and bought a Winegard Pathway X2 for the trailer and have grown to love it. Now I wouldn't even want to go back. It does everything I need and want.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the forum search function, you'll find quite a few posts on this. As for us, we've been with Dish ("Dish For My RV" plan) since going full-time and have been happy with the service. We have a Wally receiver and a Pathway X2 antenna like Paul's. I have a hard drive installed and activated on the Wally so we can record shows and watch them when we want without commercials. The only down side to the portable receivers is that they're single-tuner units. You can watch a prerecorded program while another records, but you can't watch a live show on one channel while recording a program on a different channel. Works for us, though - especially since they came out with the Flex Pack. We get just the channels we want - plus locals - for $49/month. You can also put the plan on hold while you're out of the country (in our case) or during the off-season if you're not full-time.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find all the satellite options pricey for what you get. I got a bunch of DVDs, and use terrestrial TV for everything else.

Great thing about terrestrial TV besides being free, is it denies the NFL means measure ratings.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul & Rob, feedback is much appreciated. Agree with you Katrina, price is way too high on all of this, other option is Roku, Rabbit ears and good books.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also with Netflix you can download movies to your laptop or tablet. You can play them back later.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had direct TV and loved it. But, we could not use a self aligning dish and get HDTV, so switched to DISH. Now have DISH, a Wingard X2 and get all our channels. I set up the Wingard and have TV in 10 minutes after it finds the sattilites. It used to take me at least an hour to set up my other direct TV dish. I like that the Wingard X2 can use east or west coast satellites. The best thing is all that and my bill is $30 less a month than direct TV. Now I get stuff in the mail every day asking me to come back to direct TV for a cheaper rate. Go figure they want keep a customer by giving the same rate as a new customer. I am happy with dish though.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did have the Dish with the "RV" package. It was always a hassle every time to start and stop the service. Even when I read them the print in all the ads, it was always a "mis-print". It was never a short conversation either, 30-45 minutes to get it turned back on or turned off. We might be out for a week or two, then be home for 2-3 months. As I understood the program, this was what the program was supposed to be for. The last straw was when I turned it off after, 4th of July weekend, I had a $40+ credit, when I called to turn it back on for the September fishing trip, I had to pay the $94 for a full month. I asked about my credit was informed that it would be applied to the next billing statement. The equipment for the most part worked ok, the customer service was just more then I could continue to put up with. At this point, I am a satisfied Direct TV customer. I should also point out, that I had Dish removed for the house as well.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg