Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DISH Tailgater vs Winedard Pathway 2

We have the DISH Tailgater and have been fairly happy with it. We have also modified the wiring in the trailer to be more direct to our VIP 211z receiver and use shielded quad rg6 coax. Next season we will be several months in a very treed area. We experimented this year at this location with our current system, and found a gap in the trees where we could receive one of three satellites.

My question is, is the Winegard any better at pulling in a signal (with or without obstructions such as trees)? I know you need a clear view of the sky, and use an app to look for the satellites during set up. From the reviews I read last night, most users that have had both seem to think the Winegard is superior to the Tailgater.

If the difference is negligible, I really don’t want to spend the extra $$.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using an X2 and I've found that you need a clear shot to get the sats. I've been to a couple CG's that gave me partial sat views, the X2 will give me the channels but some may be SD rather than HD. With a clear view everything's HD.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use the Winegard Pathway X2 and the 211Z. If there is heavy tree cover, I can not pick up a signal any better than you can with your Tailgater. I would not spend the extra money.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Steve, I've never had a Tailgater, only the Pathway X2, so I can't compare them, however, I recently upgraded my VIP 211Z to a Wally receiver and my anecdotal review/feeling is that it alone is much better at finding and locking satellite(s) than the VIP ever was. For 2 years I did a lot of moving of the Dish until it could find and lock but I don't find that to be necessary anymore. I know that might sound impossible and I certainly don't understand the science but it's seemed very real to me.

Maybe I would suggest spending the cheap money first. The Wally was only $80 from Amazon which is a lot better than $400+
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a clear shot at the satellites (Eastern or Western arc) no matter which antenna you're using. The X2 has a larger reflector (better signal strength) and is a more sophisticated antenna than the Tailgater. With either one, though, you can't "see through" trees or other obstructions. Fortunately, since they are both carry-out style antennas (as opposed to the Traveler mounted on top of the rig), you can move them around to try to find a straight shot at the satellites. I use SatelliteAR on my phone to locate the satellites first (phone has to have a magnetometer, accelerometer for attitude sensing, etc., to work).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, I wish I bought the Pathway, but it sounds like I might as well keep the Tailgater for now. Maybe I’ll try the Wally receiver like Poppy said. I think the Wally gives some recording options that the 211z does not, which would be nice. Thanks for all your replies. I also need to change to Verizon cell phone service since att doesn’t work at my seasonal lake location. Never did the seasonal thing before, but after returning to our favorite lake this past summer, we realized how much we want to be there.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Boy, I wish I bought the Pathway, but it sounds like I might as well keep the Tailgater for now. Maybe I’ll try the Wally receiver like Poppy said. I think the Wally gives some recording options that the 211z does not, which would be nice. Thanks for all your replies. I also need to change to Verizon cell phone service since att doesn’t work at my seasonal lake location. Never did the seasonal thing before, but after returning to our favorite lake this past summer, we realized how much we want to be there.
    Steve,

We've owned both the 211Z and Wally - they have the same recording capabilities (though slightly different specs for the hard drive). They both require an external hard drive and are both single-tuner receivers. In fact, Dish Network considers the Wally just the latest in their 211 series receivers. The early Wally had audio issues but those should be ironed out by now with newer firmware. We are happy with our newer Wally... and they aren't expensive.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Steve,

We've owned both the 211Z and Wally - they have the same recording capabilities (though slightly different specs for the hard drive). They both require an external hard drive and are both single-tuner receivers. In fact, Dish Network considers the Wally just the latest in their 211 series receivers. The early Wally had audio issues but those should be ironed out by now with newer firmware. We are happy with our newer Wally... and they aren't expensive.

Rob
    Thanks Rob for that information. I didn’t realize we could connect a hard drive to the 211z. Will have to look into that...
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Thanks Rob for that information. I didn’t realize we could connect a hard drive to the 211z. Will have to look into that...
    Yeah - but, unless something has changed, the hard drive for the 211Z has to be plain old USB - not USB-2.0. I had to hunt on Amazon to find one. The Wally wants USB-2.0 which is nearly universal these days.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yeah - but, unless something has changed, the hard drive for the 211Z has to be plain old USB - not USB-2.0. I had to hunt on Amazon to find one. The Wally wants USB-2.0 which is nearly universal these days.

Rob
    I used the same USB cable to connect my HD to the 211Z and my Wally. The Wally is sooo much nicer. The graphics and interface is just like home while the 211Z seemed like ancient technology.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast