User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable Ice Makers. Much better than I expected.

A friend gave me a portable, standalone ice maker. It worked much better than I expected.

I use the one gallon zip locks to store ice in the freezer. Since the ice maker can make 8 or more pounds a day, it doesnt take long to fill up the freezer.

The biggest downside is the noise as they arent real quiet. But they can be had for around $130. That might buy a lot of ice, but the machines make 1st class ice cubes as well.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    love mine and the ziploc bags of ice keep the fridge cold and stay frozen while on the road.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, it’s on our list as a must have for next season seasonal. The misses can use a lot of ice ( ice chests, not drinks), and at $3.00 a bag, it should pay for itself.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wholeheartedly agree. We bought this one and it's been wonderful. Makes over 20 lbs of ice daily. I use it to top off the ice chest outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really like the outside water hose connection by the front door. We use it to fill the ice maker.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an icemaker at a salvage store and it was the best $80 we have ever spent. It puts out more than we use.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI from someone that has had several of these; DO NOT run distilled water in them. We kept having them turn the "Low Water Light" on when they had plenty of water. This would happen after about 3 - 6 months of use, start intermittently, and then get the point where they wouldn't work after they had been turned on over a couple of hours. Finally after using the Sam's Club warranty for the 2nd time and the replacement ice maker start acting up in 2 weeks I decided to try and come up with a fix. After some goggling I found one reply where a guy said to add some salt to the water as the water sensor needed to see some minerals in the water. I still had one we didn't have a warranty on and the one that had just started to fail and set them up and ran tap water thru them for 2 days. Neither turned the LWL on and worked faultlessly. Put the old one (the one without a warranty) back into camper, started using bottled water (either "drinking or Spring") and it has worked all season without an issue. At least we have a perfectly good spare .
    Del & Vickie
    2016 Reflection 337
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD w/Hips - 4WD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchased one on Amazon before our last trip and found that we used it almost everyday. It sits on the hutch next to the Keurig. We also put the ice into a zip lock bag and then store it in the freezer. I completely agree with you about the sound it makes. Not exactly a quiet machine. We make sure there's enough ice made during the day so it doesn't disturb us in the evening while watching TV. Very happy with the purchase.
    Smitty and Diana
    2016 Reflection 303RLS #4486
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
    2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/Cummins 6.7

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since we are in a smaller travel trailer and don't have room for a lot of extra weight, we use a manual ice cube maker. Works great, weighs less, and much less money. Not to mention, many of our camping destinations don't have hook ups.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents bought one at Tuesday Morning. Why? Who knows. But I saw it sitting in their living room. Asked if we could borrow it for one of our trips. It's now on our list. Very handy and made ice very quickly. It does put a little heat out. I had it in the storage bay and it got a little warm in there. Walking around the park I noticed about 95% of the folks had it sitting on a table next to their coach. So we did the same. Worked out nice.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast