Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Out Awning Topper Option

When going over the details of the 5r we want, I mentioned the option listed in the brochure. The guy said he would have the parts dept give the details on price since they can add them there. I got the price quote on the phone for the 375RES-R just now. $3,000 for the toppers. Does that sound good? Is it something I can, without much trouble add myself later. They look like something that attaches to the slide to keep debris from accumulating on the roof of the slide. Maybe an added benifit is shading the top of the slide. Good idea or not? Or more trouble than they are worth?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was quoted $500 each installed--regardless of the size. They are sold on Amazon much cheaper and they don't appear (on UTube.com) to be hard to install.

We are not fulltimers, and don't see where we need the toppers the number of nights we camp. I do often get up on the roof and broom off the slides before retracting the slides--especially in the Fall.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a fan of slide toppers. Cooler in the sun, less debris, better rain protection. Naysayers claim they are high maintenance and noisy in the wind. Pro's, con's, and personal decisions. I am pretty sure they would be a two man project for installation. Getting the tension right can be tricky if you don't have experience. For me, getting them when I ordered my 376TH was better than hassling with getting them and installing them later. I am getting to that point in my life where an extra $500 for someone else to go through the effort is worth it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are ordering your unit, get them from the factor.

Way cheaper, as they do not have to pay labor to have them installed.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Debated ordering with or without.

I have multiple campers with metal wrapped awnings. The awning material lasts much longer as there is sun protection.
    Called Carefree Awnings as their site showed a metal wrap. I was hopeful it could be added after delivery. Sadly, Carefree no longer offers the RV metal wrap option.

More research...

Found the following: Girard and Dometic (A&E) make metal covered awning models. I will likely go with Girard (depending on cost).
    Zipdee also has metal wrap, but only in silver bare metal color. Great for my Silver AVION campers, but not the Solitude.

https://www.girardrv.com/collections...roducts/g-5000

Girard models seem to have a bit of an angle aiding in water runoff, etc.