User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck May Not Be Charging RV Batteries

I'm not convinced my RV batteries are charging while plugged in to my F350 so I'm gonna do a little testing. When I look at battery voltage on the LCI Level up display, it barely reads over 12V when plugged into the truck, engine running. I think it should be higher than that. I know which pin in the truck plug provides charging voltage so I will measure voltage there first to eliminate the truck as a problem. Then, I will unplug shore power from the camper, turn the battery switch and let it sit for a couple of hours for the battery voltage to settle out. After a couple of hours, I will measure battery voltage again. Then, I will plug the camper into the truck with the engine running and measure battery voltage again and see what I've got.

I appreciate if any of you electrical gurus out there would comment on my plan and let me know if you have any suggestions. My electric brakes work fine, as do all my camper tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals. If I find the issue is the wiring in the trailer, then I'll add it to my ever growing warranty fix list unless it's a simple fix that I can find and do. Constructive critiques and suggestions will be much appreciated.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joesmainship - you should see 13+ volts at the trailer battery when the truck is running. On my F150, there was a relay and a fuse for trailer battery charging shipped loose in a bag in the glove box . . . maybe you F350 is the same? Check your owner's manual for info on trailer battery charging.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One other item to check with your meter. Not only should you check pins 1 & 4 on the truck to see if you have charging voltage with it running. But also check the voltage on 1 & 4 on the FW umbilical to make sure you have battery voltage from the FW. If you don't (and the battery disconnect is on), it will let you know that you have a wiring issue on the 384.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I am a little ignorant I am going to ask a basic question. If you disconnect a battery cable on the RV. Start the truck, plug in the wire, and you have the auxiliary cable enabled, will a voltage amount show up on the internal controls?

Another way of putting the question: If you disconnect a battery cable does that open the circuit so it won't work?

A third way to ask the question: If you disconnect the battery while the converter is operational will you still have 12v DC power?
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Because I am a little ignorant I am going to ask a basic question. If you disconnect a battery cable on the RV. Start the truck, plug in the wire, and you have the auxiliary cable enabled, will a voltage amount show up on the internal controls?

Another way of putting the question: If you disconnect a battery cable does that open the circuit so it won't work?

A third way to ask the question: If you disconnect the battery while the converter is operational will you still have 12v DC power?
    If you disconnect a battery cable on the RV. Start the truck, plug in the wire, and you have the auxiliary cable enabled, will a voltage amount show up on the internal controls?
    Yes
    If 120VAC power is also off for the RV's Converter, then should only be the TV's 12VDC on the RV's 12V system.
    Probably wouldn't want to be running any of the appliances(water heater, landing gear, slides) with only the TV's 12V.

No, since the RV's 12VDC converter output, RV battery, TV charge 12VDC(trailer connector plugged in) are all tied together in parallel.

Yes, the converter is a 12VDC power supply(with charging circuitry).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Electrical Block Diagram.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	10166

Gene
    Last edited by gbkims; 10-18-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: formatting
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks or the info.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    joesmainship - you should see 13+ volts at the trailer battery when the truck is running. On my F150, there was a relay and a fuse for trailer battery charging shipped loose in a bag in the glove box . . . maybe you F350 is the same? Check your owner's manual for info on trailer battery charging.

Rob
    And the winner is Cate&Rob. On a truck made for nothing but towing, Ford neglected to install a 30A Trailer battery charging relay fuse in position 27 of the fuse box. I've been towing this way for months. I did not see one in the glove box so I will swing by Autozone tomorrow and get one. Hopefully, problem solved. Thanks for all the responses.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joesmainship View Post
    And the winner is Cate&Rob. On a truck made for nothing but towing, Ford neglected to install a 30A Trailer battery charging relay fuse in position 27 of the fuse box. I've been towing this way for months. I did not see one in the glove box so I will swing by Autozone tomorrow and get one. Hopefully, problem solved. Thanks for all the responses.
    I've never checked mine... Since I have solar mounted to the roof, my batteries are always charged. Now you've got me wondering. Time to drag out the meter.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    One other item to check with your meter. Not only should you check pins 1 & 4 on the truck to see if you have charging voltage with it running. But also check the voltage on 1 & 4 on the FW umbilical to make sure you have battery voltage from the FW. If you don't (and the battery disconnect is on), it will let you know that you have a wiring issue on the 384.

Jim
    Jim, before I found the missing fuse, I took a voltage measurement here and it had no voltage. I call the tech at my RV dealer and he said you won't have a 12V reading across pins 1-4. He wasn't sure why, possibly some type of protective circuit in between. He said the only place you will read 12V is between ground and pin 7, the electric trailer brakes. I tested this out and found it to be true.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joesmainship View Post
    On a truck made for nothing but towing, Ford neglected to install a 30A Trailer battery charging relay fuse in position 27 of the fuse box.
    In our world of RV towing, of course the trailer has a house battery that needs charging ! . . . but in the world of every other kind of trailer that could be towed, trailer batteries that need direct charging are probably rare. I would expect that many RV haulers are happily towing their 5ers without knowing that this fuse/relay is missing and no charge is going to the trailer battery.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast