User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you doing about the "KRACK" vulnerability?

https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/228519

The above link is the "KRACK" vulnerability note for the recent WPA2 Wi-Fi security protocol. I know there are some of you who work in the IT field; any thoughts on short term corrective actions until security patches are implemented?

I know this issue probably affects many RVers who use devices for Wi-Fi as WAN (utilize a public Wi-Fi signal as the source of your internet). I use a Pepwave surf-on-the-go, which takes a public hotspot and creates a secure network for me to use. Due to the new vulnerability, our "secure" networks using the WPA2 protocol are no longer secure if I understand this correctly. In the interim, my wife and I turned off Wi-Fi on our phones and are only using cellular. I have read that using Windows is still safe and Microsoft has already developed a security patch. Additionally, Pepwave reports they will have a firmware upgrade within two weeks. I am concerned with our phones (Android based) which are generally slow to receive updates and there is no expected date to have a patch available.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing to offer as a suggestion, just a brief comment about Android updates. Android is actually pretty quick to the security patches out, but the carrier has/wants to do their thing with updates and that's normally what causes the delay.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will avoid WiFi outside of our home. Home is still vulnerable but we find it hard to go without any access at all until patches have been made. Since we have unlimited data plans we can use that and not WiFi for the moment.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye out for patches. Bleepingcomputer.com keeping an updated list of pending patches.
    List of Firmware & Driver Updates for KRACK WPA2 Vulnerability - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...vulnerability/
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank