Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dometic Power Awning

Newbie question: Our Dometic power awning on 2017 315RLTS TT fully retracted still has a gap one one arm. It's not fully flush to the bracket attached to the fiberglass wall. My slide out awning is fine - completely flush to the wall. Why is this happening? How do I fix it? Is this "normal"? I would be afraid to tow it and have it rip off.

Also, side question: how do you angle it lower or give it a pitch? Maybe I'm not strong enough to pull the awning down to tighten the knob lol.

Attachment 10172Attachment 10173

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not normal. Make sure the knobs are loose when retracted. To pitch the awning, extend it, loosen the knob and pull down on the arm, causing it to shorten, then tighten the knob. I'm 6-1 and 200+ and it can take a pretty good pull.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Not normal. Make sure the knobs are loose when retracted. To pitch the awning, extend it, loosen the knob and pull down on the arm, causing it to shorten, then tighten the knob. I'm 6-1 and 200+ and it can take a pretty good pull.
    I'm 5-3 125lbs which is probably why I am struggling! Knobs are loose. I make sure not to over extend the awning arms and can assure y'all I didn't roll it backwards either.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, something is jamming or bent.

Edit: I guess it is possible the fabric is not square causing a incomplete retraction.

Can you push on it and get it to move into fully retracted position? That will tell you if it is stuck on something or just not completely rolling up.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverclumsytx View Post
    Newbie question: Our Dometic power awning on 2017 315RLTS TT fully retracted still has a gap one one arm. It's not fully flush to the bracket attached to the fiberglass wall. My slide out awning is fine - completely flush to the wall. Why is this happening? How do I fix it? Is this "normal"? I would be afraid to tow it and have it rip off.

Also, side question: how do you angle it lower or give it a pitch? Maybe I'm not strong enough to pull the awning down to tighten the knob lol.

Attachment 10172Attachment 10173
    Poor install by idiots at factory.
    [/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Agree, something is jamming or bent.

Edit: I guess it is possible the fabric is not square causing a incomplete retraction.

Can you push on it and get it to move into fully retracted position? That will tell you if it is stuck on something or just not completely rolling up.
    I can push on it fine. No obstructions or bent metal that I can see. When I push it flush to the mounting bracket, I have a few inches of awning loose. I think it's not rolling all the awning in on that side. Someone on fb mentioned if the fabric is not even on both ends/rolling crooked, it can do that. I need to grab a ladder and see if I can figure out how to wiggle the fabric over a tad. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something similar happened to me recently. I put a ladder up on the side that the arm was a bit crooked and pulled the fabric in the channel attached to the trailer. Rolled in and out and adjusted the fabricjust an inch or two until the arm retracted fully.. It’s been fine since then.

On some trailers there is a set screw to hold the fabric in place, but I didn’t see one on this trailer.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After leaving the awning up during a strong wind my awning started doing that. I took a stout piece of rope and tied it to the end of the roller where it connects to the arm. Extended it out so the angle of the rope was as shallow as possible then pulled. The awning had twisted just a little. I got it untwisted just a little. Then the awning bars lined up again. I still occasionally had to slap the face of the awning bar to get it to snap into place.

I wouldn't pull too far too fast with the awning as it appears in the picture. It is possible for air to get in behind it and balloon the awning out. More critical if it is the front awning bar, but your looks like the back awning bar, less likely.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't seem to get it to even out. I think I see a dealer visit in my near future.