Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Odd Tire Wear

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odd Tire Wear

We've been on the road for a while and covered about 5,000 miles on our new trailer. Noticed today as I was setting up that the driver side front tire has an odd wear spot on it. Not a pattern and not anywhere else on the tire or on any of the other tires. Just one good sized area that is worn much more than the rest of the tire. The rest of the tire and the other tires look fine. Any ideas on what would cause this? Not sure how long it may have been like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10188
    2017 F350 Platinum DRW Diesel
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to me like the tire was locked up during braking at some point leaving a flat spot. It’s pretty worn though and would have had to be a long skid on rough surface I think. My first thought was that the suspension was bad and the tires were cupping, but it’s a big wide spot, which to me looks like it’s flattened out.

Do you recall locking up the brakes recently? I would check your brakes to see if they are working properly.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brakes are working, I test them from time to time. I did lock them up early in our trip and then adjusted the trailer brake gain down a bit. It wasn't a long drawn out skid but maybe the little drag was enough. That would explain why only one spot. I need to roll the trailer slowly and look at the others to see if I burned spot on any others. None noticeable as it sits now.

thx
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
    The brakes are working, I test them from time to time. I did lock them up early in our trip and then adjusted the trailer brake gain down a bit. It wasn't a long drawn out skid but maybe the little drag was enough. That would explain why only one spot. I need to roll the trailer slowly and look at the others to see if I burned spot on any others. None noticeable as it sits now.

thx
    When the brakess lock up, its not uncommon for one or two tires to throw up smoke, and not all of them. The brakes should be adjusted as close as possible and hopefully the electric being passed on to each brake is the same, but in my experience not all four will lock up. Depending on how bad that spot is, I might have a tire shop look at it for future use. If those are original tires, and you’ve been considering upgrading, now might be a good time. You can also change it out for the spare if it hasn’t been used.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're the original tires and have a little over 5,000 miles on them. The rest of them look fine. Assuming that it happened early in our trip and that I've covered most of our trip with it as is and have about 1,500 miles to go I am hesitant to change it out with the spare while on the road. Don't want to introduce an unknown at this point. Definitely will change it out before our next trip.
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to agree with the brake lockup scenario. When you say you test your brakes do you do it individually or just hit the in cab brake controller. If the latter, then you may want to take another look at your brakes. I had one tire getting flat spots like that, turned out that was the only brake that was working, the trailer stopped, but one tire and brake was wearing more than the others. Another test you can do, is drag your brakes for about a half a block, not locked up, but with friction. Then immediately go check the temp of all the brake drums. If they are all of similar warmth your good to go, if you have a cold one, or over hot one, you have brake issues.

Oh yeah, if you are using the finger touch system be sure to wet the end of your finger before you touch. If it's really hot the spit will sizzle before the hide begins to sizzle. It it's really hot and you touch with just hide it will sizzle. Guess how I learned this!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750