Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel Engine Battery Issue, GM Altenator non-issue

My truck has turned 4. On a couple of cooler mornings when I went to start it I got the rrr-rrrrr thing going, then it kicked over. If I run it every day it starts fine. Ok, it's time to start thinking about replacing batteries and battery maintenance. Closed batteries no way to add water. Discovered the conglomeration of connections and battery placement, wow that's going to be a chore, behind water return tank and under a brace. I will get around to it.

Then I noticed the v meter in the truck 0, not 9, not 12, not 13.6, not 14 - 0. I am thinking I have lost the alternator. But it started and was running. Ok, I say to myself, I'll just drive up to the closest repair shop and get a new alternator put in. Started up the street and V meter jumps to 14. ???

It still starts, it still goes, if it aint broke don't fix it right? I found out that the truck computer module keeps the alternator turned off and not pulling when the engine first starts up. I am sure there is more to it than that, but that is the jist of what I discovered on the web. The other thing I found was someone saying that if the engine is pulling really hard the computer will shut the alternator down to increase HP, I have not observed this, but it sounds like really cool technology.

We are in running mode, that time in a full timers life when we are between longer term stays. Utah, Colorado, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas. Moving every three or 4 days. Doing an activity, then moving again.

Yesterday it was motorcycle riding, had a great day. Didn't start the truck all day. Went out this morning to crawl into the truck to drive to the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington and the truck wouldn't start. Batteries are down, but not dead. Got my neighbor Ken to give me a jump, by the way they are Reflection owners therefor extremely nice people times two. Drove into town, decided to change the batteries out. Stopped at a parts store, they put a tester on it and said nothing wrong with the batteries. Hmmmm!

Ok, I know better than to put a lot of faith in those tests. Besides I had just run the truck an hour at highway speeds to get there, of course the batteries are charged. Then I really looked at what it was going to take to get those batteries out. Holy cow, you have to remove the water capture tank and a brace to get the rear one out, and what the heck is all that connection stuff on the top of it. Replacing a battery has ceased to be a 5 minute job in the parts store parking lot.

So it's time for some adult decision making. I need to quit playing long enough to get this handled. It is a problem that will only get worse with time. But getting stuff worked on is such a huge hassle, finding someplace, getting scheduled, chancing they don't stuff and have to order parts leaving you stranded for a week or more, etc.

On the other hand, if I unplug all the gizmos in the truck at night, be sure run it every day to fully charge the batteries. I should be able to make it to Texas where I will have time to mess with it. Our schedule gets real tight for the next 7 days, have to be Houston for a football game Saturday morning. Looks like I may have to miss my Adventure Cave Tour in Mammoth Cave National park on Monday to get this taken care of.

I am sure that no one is feeling sorry for me, wouldn't it be grand if peoples biggest problems where this simple.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never hesitate any longer once the batteries start acting up, and have 3 years or more on them. Lost an alternator by doing that once.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These trucks have a relay that when it detects the battery is fully charged it shuts the alternator off. This allows the pulley to free spin like the ac . It helps with the fuel mileage.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a garage/shop/dealer that sells batteries and they should give you an ok deal for the install. The truck is telling you time is running out, take its word for it. Or buy them at Walmart/Shopko type store and fight with it yourself.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brand spanky new AGM batteries got installed last night. We had a short run and a time change, as a result we were parked and set up by 3pm. Shopped a little, thought a little, wound up at Auto Zone in Glasgow, KY. I took tools with me in case they appeared incompetent but they made quick work out of replacing the batteries. Turned out the owner of the store was the one doing the work. Quite professional, he even wore safety goggles while handling the batteries. He recommended an oil change place so I will get that done after caving this morning.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move, glad they installed them for you and did it right.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    Good move, glad they installed them for you and did it right.
    It's really a no brainer. I have installed lots of batteries, that's how in know when someone else is doing it correctly. Secondly, he found a loose connection on a negative post. That could have been my problem all along, and probably contributed to it. However the bottom line is the batteries were 4 years old. Even though the loose post may have been a causal problem I do not feel bad about spending the bucks for the new batteries. Hopefully I won't have to talk about it for another 4-5 years.

I got an oil change today, all caught up with maintenance until I get Texas where I will work on alignment, balance, and rotation.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, you should be good to go for a few years. Easy enough to get a jump "usually", but better to turn the key and have her fire up. Four years out of a stock battery system isn't bad, even if the ground side was a bit loose. May or may not have been part of the problem. The colder weather and hard to start usually is battery starting to go.