Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question regarding 20 amp solar plug/power consumption

Hello,

This is a question in regard to buying a Solar system. I have a 2016 357bhs with a solar hookup built in on the front of the trailer. If I were to buy a system and hook it up while hooked up to a 50 amp service, would it reduce my overall power consumption from the main 50 amp service? I ask because some places have us pay for electricity, others don't. Best case I would want to supplement with solar if the electrical system is smart enough.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following, good question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob
    2018 Imagine 2150RB, 2017 Ram 1500

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, it will not. You have two separate electrical systems in your fifth wheel. There is a 12VDC system which provides power to items like your lighting, furnace fan, etc. There is a totally separate 120VAC systems for powering things like your air conditioners, TV, wall outlets, etc.

Solar charging systems are typically made to charge the 12V batteries. It provides direct current and not 60hZ Alternating Current.

The only way you could reduce your electrical requirements with solar is to build a large battery bank that will power an inverter which will then provide the 120VAC. This is not typically enough power to run an air conditioner though. You can then use solar to charge the battery bank.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    No, it will not. You have two separate electrical systems in your fifth wheel. There is a 12VDC system which provides power to items like your lighting, furnace fan, etc. There is a totally separate 120VAC systems for powering things like your air conditioners, TV, wall outlets, etc.

Solar charging systems are typically made to charge the 12V batteries. It provides direct current and not 60hZ Alternating Current.

The only way you could reduce your electrical requirements with solar is to build a large battery bank that will power an inverter which will then provide the 120VAC. This is not typically enough power to run an air conditioner though. You can then use solar to charge the battery bank.

Jim
    Awesome, thank you for the input. It sounds like the cost of doing something like that would likely take years to actually make up in power consumption. I know decent batteries are expensive and then the solar/inverter would be quite a bit. Good to know so I don't go down a rabbit hole like this.