Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open to storage area behind drawers?

While putting something away today in the cabinets near the floor I noticed a cool breeze blowing into the cabinet. I pulled out the drawers beside the cabinet and felt the same breeze. I pulled the drawer completely out and could see directly into the storage area behind the divider wall. The area where all of the wiring, piping and furnace, etc sits. Since the divider wall does not come all the way up, air was coming from outside into the drawer and cabinets. I had one of the outside storage bin doors open at the time and my wife was running the ceiling vent fan in the kitchen. Not a big deal I suppose but I don't like having outside air or air from the storage bin being pulled into the drawers and cabinets and then into the trailer. We've been in the desert for the past couple of weeks and I could see some dust on top of the pots and pans in the drawers. I plan to seal it off and can't think of a reason it would cause an issue. Anyone done this?
    2017 F350 Platinum DRW Diesel
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the return air chase for the furnace?.....like one on the bathroom floor behind toilet?
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know at this point. The return air opening is near the floor and can’t tell if it has another passage into the space or just flows up behind the drawers. If it does then I will need to leave as is or see if I can isolate the return flow into the storage space and seal off the drawer area. I hope I can. Having return air from the floor flowing up around our pots, pans and dishes isn’t great either.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our 375, I pulled the larger portion of the basement wall down and could see light from the kitchen through open areas under the electrical panel and under the pantry area. As the OP stated, the basement wall only goes up to the aluminum supports so there is an open area that runs directly from the interior to the front basement.

I assume this is part of the temperature control for the basement so that it doesn't freeze during the winter (most people's greatest concern) but that means your heater and your ACs are going to be working hard to keep these areas heated/cooled.

In our 375 with huge rear basement area, the basement wall is flush with the ceiling so there is no gap there. This is a vent into that rear basement which, I presume, is for heating.

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
    I don’t know at this point. The return air opening is near the floor and can’t tell if it has another passage into the space or just flows up behind the drawers. If it does then I will need to leave as is or see if I can isolate the return flow into the storage space and seal off the drawer area. I hope I can. Having return air from the floor flowing up around our pots, pans and dishes isn’t great either.
    I am no expert, but I think its the same as the #303. I was in there a awhile back to fix the drawer slide hardware and it is all open. This is a good way to inspect the back of the heater, hoses, some water lines, etc. by taking the lower hutch drawer out before unscrewing the back basement panel for a look.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In summer while running the AC that opening could be closed off to keep the heat from coming in. But in winter it needs to be open for the furnace to operate correctly. That is where the furnace gets its return air from.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I would measure the size of the area and see if you can find a furnace/AC filter of the appropriate size. Build a small frame for it with one end open so you could slide it out when it needs replaced. This would slow the air slightly but would keep your dinner items clean.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The area underneath the buffet in the 337 is an air return for the furnace. You should not get any "non-motorized" air flow through there with the outside compartment doors closed. You also don't want to block or significantly restrict the air flow there, either.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the bottom drawer out at our next stop and the return air flow at the floor is all open up into the area the drawers slide into and then into an opening into the basement area behind the divider panel. I think I can put in a few thin panels to isolate the drawers from the return air without restricting the return air. I think I can also make it easier to access the piping, wiring and electronics in that space from inside the trailer if needed. I've removed the panel in the storage area before to get at the heat duct that fell off. Not too hard but it does require some work and then contortions to get up in there from the storage compartment. There are a few in line fuses in the wiring that would be nice to be able to access from the inside if needed. That said, the rats nest of wires in there might be just as big a challenge to get through from either side. Wish they had some sense of neatness in how they wired things in there.
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed my plenum panels so that the air now flows under the drawers and then into the storage area as it should without also going around the drawers in the middle. Seems to work just fine and isolates the air flow to go where it should. The AC plug for the furnace was screwed to the floor directly under the bottom drawer. Had to move it to be out in the storage area where the rest of the wiring is.
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN