User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To cover, or not to cover, that is the question!

And if I do cover the trailer up for the winter, what's a decent cover that'll last a couple two three years? Also, wheel covers? Is that getting too nutty? I'm actually buying new and having the dealer winterize it and store it till spring. Any advice on the subject is welcome.
    Neil and Liz Cotter
    Last edited by Neil...AKA...Neil; 10-25-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do you want to spend? An expensive custom cover will probably last the longest. I used Adco covers on my previous rig and got 3 seasons max here in the NW.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on where it will be parked. I live i Arizona and the sun destroys everything here. I put a cover on my first trailer to protect it from the UV rays and it ruined way more than leaving it out would have.
    The cover acted like a blanket even though it was thin and breathable.
    The fiberglass cap and siding delaminated and the vinyl on all the cabinets shrank up exposing the wood underneath. Lots of the glued items fell apart too. I had it for 2 years before that with no cover and it didn't happen until the summer I covered it.
    I'm not sure how hot it got with the cover on but I do know it gets around 150+ inside the trailer by the end of the day during the hot months without a cover.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the space, an inexpensive metal shed/pole-barn will usually run you about 4-5 times the cost of a high end cover. It will last your lifetime instead of a few years and it will protect your camper from UV, snow and more. If you get it tall enough you can even do maintenance on the roof while it's under the cover saving you the grief of worrying if it might rain while you're servicing your AC unit or Skylights.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we'll be using the cover here in the North East during the winter months as protection from the snow and freezing rain on the roof components and anyplace else where water can sit, accumulate and freeze. I'd love to do a pole barn but our HOA wouldn't allow it. We will be downsizing our home in the next couple years trading the half acer and 2500 SF house for a lot twice the size and a house half the size hopefully with some type of barn where our RV will grow old a little more gracefully. Anybody got any idea what indoor storage could run?
    Neil AKA Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in North Georgia I use a cover. I think I paid about $500 for it and it is on the RV for about three months in winter. We usually put the RV to bed the middle of December and wake it up in mid-March. In the past with other RV's the cover last 3-4 years before wearing out and getting holes. We are in process of building new house and our new subdivision does not allow RV storage on site so we will have to store. Storage in my area is about $50 a month for uncovered and $75 a month for parking under a shed. I will probably park in a shed to limit UV damage.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4