User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2500RL clearance between top of tires and bottom of deck.

I noticed that for my unloaded trailer (11 months old), I only have 2 1/2 inch clearance between top of tire and bottom of deck on passenger side tires. On the drivers side, there is only
    2 1/4 inch clearance. This doesn't seem like very much room as far as tire rubbing on bottom of deck when driving. I checked the clearance on many different new Grand Design trailers on dealers lot and all had 3 inches or more clearance. So far I have not seen any signs of tire rubbing on deck. My springs look OK but not great. They measure right at I what I believe to be the Dexter 1 1/2" measurement compression spec between top surface of spring (at center of spring) to a line drawn across center of spring eyes (when under load). I don't know if "under load" means trailer not packed for travel, or if it just means spring installed in on dry camper.

I would like to upgrade to Dexter E-Z Flex with wet bolts or MoRRyde, but I am concerned that if either of these add any wheel up/down movement it might cause wheel rub

I noticed a new 2500RL on dealer lot that had taller spring hangers (1" taller) than I have on my 2017 and also had a different Dexter axle part number than I have.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danedubr View Post
    I noticed that for my unloaded trailer (11 months old), I only have 2 1/2 inch clearance between top of tire and bottom of deck on passenger side tires. On the drivers side, there is only
    2 1/4 inch clearance. This doesn't seem like very much room as far as tire rubbing on bottom of deck when driving. I checked the clearance on many different new Grand Design trailers on dealers lot and all had 3 inches or more clearance. So far I have not seen any signs of tire rubbing on deck. My springs look OK but not great. They measure right at I what I believe to be the Dexter 1 1/2" measurement compression spec between top surface of spring (at center of spring) to a line drawn across center of spring eyes (when under load). I don't know if "under load" means trailer not packed for travel, or if it just means spring installed in on dry camper.

I would like to upgrade to Dexter E-Z Flex with wet bolts or MoRRyde, but I am concerned that if either of these add any wheel up/down movement it might cause wheel rub

I noticed a new 2500RL on dealer lot that had taller spring hangers (1" taller) than I have on my 2017 and also had a different Dexter axle part number than I have.
    Danedubr,
    There are multiple threads on this subject as well as RVs that sag on the heavy kitchen side with work done by Rob (Cate and Rob) on a unique spring solution. I've performed updates to my Imagine 2600RB where the solution was cheap and effective. The thread is "Imagine 2600RB tire to floor clearance".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2600RB 1 inch lift with new U bolts and CRE3000.jpg  
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4