Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Changing --What to use and how to lift?

When we got our 303RLS, we were both very busy with work and life in general, and in a hurry to use our new rig. Having towed a lot of trailers a lot of miles, I'm always prepared to deal with breakdowns on the road, so I upgraded the 12V compressor in my truck, and added a second 3-ton bottle jack and some 6"X6" blocks for tire changing. Now that things have slowed down, I want to have the right stuff with carrying too much stuff.

I played with using staked 2"X8"s under one tire to lift the other, but wasn't getting enough lift at 4 boards/6 inches. Can you lift a 303 by driving up onto blocks? If so, how high do you need to go? If not, what jack do you use and where do you use it? Seems like with the frame about 2 feet off the ground, my short jacks are not ideal.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the same with the "lego" blocks with the same result. . . . looking at getting 12 ton bottle jack for under the axle. . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jkwilson - I use four combination jack stand hydraulic jack units to store my Reflection for longer periods, with the weight off the tires. See details in the attachment to post #1 of this thread. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ds+combination

I carry one of these jacks with us when we travel. If I had to change a tire on the road, I would use blocking under the other same side tire to get the axle to be lifted just high enough to get this jack under it and then I could lift the damaged tire off the ground without having to lift the entire side of the trailer by the frame. This jack also has the safety of an "included" jack stand. There are many threads on this forum about lifting at the axle U bolts vs lifting by the frame. LCI used to recommend (and much of their literature still does) lifting only by the frame. After many of us watched their own techs lifting under the axle ends during service operations at the Rallies . . . LCI has relaxed this "lift by the frame only" position. My jacks do have modifications to their tops to nest uniformly to the axle tube between the spring U bolts.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry the jack and cribbing in the picture below which allows me to jack up the trailer by the frame. Actually I carry two stacks of 2x4s and use them under the landing gear when we setup to increase stability of the trailer. I've used this setup twice. Once to mount the spare tire and another time to support the frame during repair when a spring hanger broke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2260053.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	10256
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an older version of this, https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...en/AM3620.html that is not as high. I have several trailers, both tandem and triple axel and this works wonders. As I said, I have an older version that is not as tall, on soft surfaces occasionally I have to put a 2x4 under it.

It is perfect for the job, can be used as a leveler, light weight, easily fits in my truck bed tool box so I have it all the time.
    2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, crew cab.
    Millennium, 36' triple axel, gooseneck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    jkwilson - I use four combination jack stand hydraulic jack units to store my Reflection for longer periods, with the weight off the tires. See details in the attachment to post #1 of this thread. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ds+combination

I carry one of these jacks with us when we travel. If I had to change a tire on the road, I would use blocking under the other same side tire to get the axle to be lifted just high enough to get this jack under it and then I could lift the damaged tire off the ground without having to lift the entire side of the trailer by the frame. This jack also has the safety of an "included" jack stand. There are many threads on this forum about lifting at the axle U bolts vs lifting by the frame. LCI used to recommend (and much of their literature still does) lifting only by the frame. After many of us watched their own techs lifting under the axle ends during service operations at the Rallies . . . LCI has relaxed this "lift by the frame only" position. My jacks do have modifications to their tops to nest uniformly to the axle tube between the spring U bolts.

Rob
    I like that a lot. One of the things I dislike about the bottle jacks is the small base. Even with boards to distribute the weight they don't seem stable to me, and one can seldom find an ideal spot to change a blown tire. I like the pipe saddle add-on. Similar to a notched piece of 2" square tube I use to fit to my boat trailer square axles.

As soon as I saw your picture I thought you'd do a lot of crawling to get to the jack handles, but you were way ahead of me with the "reversible" handle.

If anyone is interested, those jacks are available for about $40 at Tractor Supply (price varies by location), which is much cheaper than anywhere else I saw them.

I've always lifted trailers by the U-bolt plate. Just seems like the safest place to lift if your goal is to get a tire off the ground.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lifting by the frame is the preferred method. But I have changed several tires on the side of the road in adverse conditions. I raise the tire by the Ubolt with a bottle jack just enough to get the flat off. I often use a shovel to dig down a bit to get the inflated tire on. I never lift by the axle.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had to use it yet on the road but I had a heavy steel saddle made that fits over the top of my bottle jack. Basically a short tube with a U saddle that fits snug under the two large U bolts at the end of the axle. Don't want to put the stress directly on the axle tube and figured that the two U bolts would distribute force around the axle and to the springs. I tested it and works fine, enough to get the tire off the ground. I've asked the dealer service techs how they do it and they tell me they lift the same way. At the end of the axles. I know the official answer is to lift at the frame but after looking at it I figured that would be dangerous and difficult to do on the road.
    2017 F350 Platinum DRW Diesel
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwcid View Post
    I have an older version of this, https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...en/AM3620.html that is not as high. I have several trailers, both tandem and triple axel and this works wonders. As I said, I have an older version that is not as tall, on soft surfaces occasionally I have to put a 2x4 under it.

It is perfect for the job, can be used as a leveler, light weight, easily fits in my truck bed tool box so I have it all the time.
    I use this too, works well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe Jack flat pad, axle bottle jack adapters.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast