User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Issues

thompsjk

AC Issues

So on my last camping trip I walked into my 385 to find it filled with smoke and the main AC making a loud humming/buzzing noise. I got home on Sunday afternoon then had to leave going back to work on Monday night offshore in the Gulf of Mexico so I did not have time to take to get it looked at. I found somebody local that can do Dometic warranty and was willing to go to my house and check it out in hopes that it could be fixed and ready for our Disney/Fort Wilderness trip that we are leaving on a few day after I get home from work. So I had my mom meet the repair guy at my house to unlock my shop so he could take a look at the AC. When he got there the AC came on and ran fine and he could not fined any issues with it. Since he could not fined any issues he can not charge the service call to Dometic. So now I'm stuck with a $150 service charge and a AC that I'm afraid to run while I'm a sleep or away.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long had it been running when you got back to RV and found it the way you did? And how long did he run it for. I would try and run it as long as you had it running when it happened to op check it and for trouble shooting. It could be a time related issue, has to run till the problem starts showing, getting hot, etc... Or just pull fuse or leave off and not run it till you get it in to have it looked at and let them know it ran for so many hours before it messed up, so if they come to the same conclusion the service call came up with, they can try to duplicate it that way. Just a thought, keep us informed, like to know what it was.

thompsjk
    We went out to the lake on on Friday and the AC run cutting off and on just like it should. On Sunday we went out on the lake in the kayaks for a couple of hours and when we got back that's when I found it. The compressor appeared to be running. The fan was not turning it was just buzzing.

A few day after we got it last August it done basically the same thing but I was inside and cut it off right away. I had it looked at and the capacitor was replaced. We have used it four or five times since then but just on the weekends. So around 12 to 15 days some of wich the AC was not run.

At this point I'm not sure the capacitor was the issue the first time.

thompsjk
    So I'm at work in the Gulf of Mexico 150 plus miles from the nearest land and I got a call from Grand Design this morning about my AC issues. In all my life I have never dealt with a company that works this hard to make things right.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal, think you might get it taken care of before your next trip after you got off phone with them? I hope you can, Grand Design is practicing what they preach. Hard to beat that!!

thompsjk
    I dropped it off Wednesday morning to have the window seal that was missing installed and the AC checked out. They fix the leaking window but still could not find anything wrong with the AC. We are leaving for Fort Wilderness Sunday morning so I will just run it when I'm around to watch it.

thompsjk
    Got to Disney on Sunday AC has been running fine until last night. Around 11 PM last night the fan quit and started buzzing. I tried running it on high, med, and low and all it would do is buzz. Tried it this morning and it works fine.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsjk View Post
    Got to Disney on Sunday AC has been running fine until last night. Around 11 PM last night the fan quit and started buzzing. I tried running it on high, med, and low and all it would do is buzz. Tried it this morning and it works fine.
    Hi Jeff (@thompsjk),

My understanding is that Ryan Prough, the Warranty Manager here at Grand Design, will be contacting you today. Or if you prefer to contact him, Ryan can be reached at our Customer Support phone number (574) 825-9679.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

thompsjk
    Janice,

I did get a call today but was not able answer I was on a ride with my daughter. I did talk to Chris Bennett a couple of weeks ago before I brought it to the shop the last time. I wii try and give Ryan a call tomorrow.

thompsjk
    I talked to Chris Bennett again yesterday morning and I'm happy to say that Grand Design is stepping up and taking care of my AC issues. I've got an appointment to have it replaced on July 1st. Dometic just gave me the run around saying they would not do anything if they could not pin point the issue. Dometic even recommend that I bring it to one of their "better service centers in Purvis Ms". The funny thing is the place they recommended has been out of business for several years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast