User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you do to secure your RV while in storage?

I know about winterizing and covers but what do you do to secure your RV from being broken into or outright stolen?
    Neil

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lock it up, padlock the hitch and park it in a fenced (with barb wire at the top) storage lot that has a security camera aimed right at my trailer. So far the worst that has happened is damage to my previous trailer from the rigs parked next to mine. Otherwise, I have insurance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make sure the door is dead bolted, lock the storage compartments...we changed our cam locks out. We have is stored in a fenced with barbed wire at the top and electric fence, keypad entrance only, storage facility about 2 miles from my house. We also make sure the hitch is locked. We've taken as much precaution as we can.

I also have insurance, but hope I don't ever has to use it.
    Rick & Patti

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2950RL
    2016 Ford F-350, V8, 6.7 Power Stroke, Platinum aka RUBY
    2016 Ford F-150, 3.5L Eco-Boost, V6 with max tow package

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a very relevant topic. On the FB page, an Imagine owner just had their unit stolen from a locked, limited access storage yard.

Jim

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep stated value insurance on my Reflection fifth wheel trailer.
    Our member owned campground has 300 RVs in storage. Their drivers park the trailers so close together that the doors cannot be opened. The lots are kept locked at all times, and a security officer mans the gates to the campground.
    Don't know any other measures possible.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Always store your trailer with the stabilizers/levelers down. Then remove the batteries or install a hidden battery switch. It's awfully hard to steal one if the gear is down. And if they do, it will draw the attention of a lot of people.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing you can do regarding break-ins would be eyes, either video security, or removing all valuables. You can barely secure a real building from break-in, much less an RV.

As to securing the trailer, a 36V angle grinder will make short work of most security measures, but it still makes things difficult. They want to show up and act like they are supposed to be there, so cutting off a kingpin lock is not going to help with that. Anything that attracts attention to the thieves is a good start. Make them make noise trying to steal your rig or make yours a harder target than the one next to it.

If you want to step it up, figure out how to lock the brakes or wheels. A second break-away switch that is hidden under the trailer with a cable tied to a wheel or spike into the ground would make them end up trying to pull a rig with the brakes on. Not a good way to avoid attention!

If your truck is hooked to the rig, a fuel shut off is a bear. They'll get started moving and then it will die. Of course you have the issues of dealing with recovering from that if you forget to disable it.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great idea - a second breakaway switch! Of course I would inadvertently test it just about every time I moved the trailer

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    What a great idea - a second breakaway switch! Of course I would inadvertently test it just about every time I moved the trailer
    Remember that if you leave a breakaway switch pulled, this is supplying about 15A to the electric brakes . . . this will kill the battery really fast.

Landing gear will be down, but also putting stabilizers down is a good idea. A hidden kill switch to prevent these from being powered by plugging into a TV would be a good idea too.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a thief were to move the trailer thereby deploying the "secret" breakaway switch, a dead battery would be ok if it thwarted the thief. If and when I deployed the "secret" breakaway because I forgot it was there it would remind me what a forgetful OF I've become.

Just the other day I drained the plumbing to do a little mod. Put water pressure to the system to test for leaks. Seemed pressure was low at the kitchen sink. Then I heard it. Oh yeah, laundry connection, still open. Doh!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast