Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long should two propane tanks last

On our way to Florida from Michigan in late December. We plan on staying at flying J truck stops three nights on the way down. We have never done this before but most campgrounds are closed till we get to Alabama. If we set the furnace to 45 F how much propane can I expect to use for these three nights

Thanks

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this isn't exactly the answer you are looking for you will run out of battery to run the furnace well before you run out of propane to burn. If I remember correctly they burn about a lb or so an hour while running. R u setup with dual batteries?
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sclarson View Post
    On our way to Florida from Michigan in late December. We plan on staying at flying J truck stops three nights on the way down. We have never done this before but most campgrounds are closed till we get to Alabama. If we set the furnace to 45 F how much propane can I expect to use for these three nights

Thanks
    You have enough to last 3 nights. We've done 4 & 5 nights dry camping on two tanks. We keep the furnace at 78 in the daytime and 70 at night. As well as the fridge runs on propane the whole time. We also use the stove/oven. 45 degrees? Are you sure?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sclarson - there is an easier way to do this . . . there are open campgrounds catering to snowbirds along the I75 route.
    Sometimes they have hydrant water and sometimes the campsite water is shut off, but they have electricity and campground washrooms that are open. If you are interested in this, I can give you the list of campgrounds we stay at. We travel at a leisurely pace . . . driving about 6 hrs per day.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    sclarson - there is an easier way to do this . . . there are open campgrounds catering to snowbirds along the I75 route.
    Sometimes they have hydrant water and sometimes the campsite water is shut off, but they have electricity and campground washrooms that are open. If you are interested in this, I can give you the list of campgrounds we stay at. We travel at a leisurely pace . . . driving about 6 hrs per day.

Rob
    I seem to recall someone posting that in sub-freezing weather, their 30 lb tank would last 3 days. This was while camped, not traveling, where you could set the furnace for something like 50 while you're driving.

And as Rob says, you should be able to find open campgrounds with at least electric available. Not that it helps you, but we just stayed 2 nights at Pocahontas SP near Richmond VA, with E/W hookups.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With temperatures around 30 to the mid 40s we’ve been running about four days per 30 pound tank. At around zero last winter we were running about one day per tank.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of variables....how cold is it outside, do you have dual pane windows, what model you have, etc. etc.

If you run the generator for a couple of hours each night will help. The fireplace helps to heat up the trailer. DO NOT USE THE STOVE OR OVEN FOR HEAT!

With the 376TH we have to put slides out just to get to the bathroom or bedroom and sometimes there's no room at truck stops but we have found room wally docking (Walmart).

Are you going to be able to pull a trailer out of Michigan in late Dec.....no ice issues?
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Are you going to be able to pull a trailer out of Michigan in late Dec.....no ice issues?
    JCZhome - you wouldn't believe the bumper-to-bumper convoy of RVs of every shape and size heading south to Florida on I75 from Ontario/Michigan/Ohio just after Christmas .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara & Dave View Post
    I seem to recall someone posting that in sub-freezing weather, their 30 lb tank would last 3 days. This was while camped, not traveling, where you could set the furnace for something like 50 while you're driving.

And as Rob says, you should be able to find open campgrounds with at least electric available. Not that it helps you, but we just stayed 2 nights at Pocahontas SP near Richmond VA, with E/W hookups.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Dave - you may be thinking of a post of mine after an Arctic front in Maryland last Christmas (30 lb. tank in 3 - 4 days was the rate I quoted). That was, however, with single-digit lows at night and highs in the low 20s with 40 MPH winds. We were on 50-amp power, used the electric fireplace and a portable heater, and set the thermostat to 58 at night and 68 during the day to make sure the main furnace cycled to keep the basement thawed out. In New Mexico the Christmas before that, we filled a 30 lb. tank every 5 - 8 days (lows in the upper 20s and highs in the upper 40s to low 50s and snow the day after Christmas). Propane usage has as much to do with where you set the thermostat as it does the outside temperatures. In my opinion, mid- to upper-70s is not reasonable in an RV. We have never run the furnace while in motion. Traveling down the highway just sucks heat out of the rig and needlessly uses propane. Of course, we've only had two travel days in two years where it didn't get above freezing until noon.

OP - BabyBober is right about the battery. Boondocking, you will run out of 12V power to run the furnace fan and controls before you run out of propane. Especially during cold weather we look for RV parks convenient to our route with 50 amp electric - even for the overnighters en-route.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sclarson View Post

Thanks
    sclarson- Check out the I75 exit guide. It will give you every kind of information you could want along I75 from Mich. to Florida. We're leaving right after Thanksgiving, getting too cold around here for our liking anymore. Especially looking at the weather forecast for Bradenton FL. Low 80's daytime to low to mid 60's for low's at night. Made that trip after Christmas once it looked like a traffic jam of RV's. We always time our travel's so we are going through Atlanta on sunday mornings to avoid the traffic jams that are known to happen.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast