Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2670MK Schwintek slide out drainage holes and potential rodent entry

We live in the woods and mice have been a minor annoyance in our previous campers, with one or two mice getting in the camper a few times.

In the 2670MK the drain holes in the corners of the door side slide out are rather large and leave a direct pathway for mice to enter the cabin when the slide is closed. We didn't see the holes during the PDI because the slide was fully extended while we were inside. Once we got the unit home we noticed light coming in through the floor, we couldn't believe the size of the drain holes that open up directly to the ground.

It's hard to believe that GD engineers haven't considered these drain holes as potentially spawning a problem with mice.

Are we missing some kind of basket or drain tube that should be attached to the drain pan? Is there a recommended part/method to treat these holes so they don't become an inviting front door for Jerry and his friends?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a large hole in the floor of my 2800bh. Like you I didn't notice it until the slide was retracted. Mine has a grommet plus several wires coming through it.
    I stuffed some steel wool in the hole. This should keep the critters out this winter but I will remove it before I open it in the spring.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have power consider buying the electronic mouse deterents. We use 3 and have never had a mouse while camping. When the camper is in storage I use TomKat brand mouse poison generously inside and out.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used bait traps, but every spring we found the bait trays empty and the couch full of bait. This year we're going to use a 5 gallon bucket trap http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had any trouble with ours while in storage. We use several pouches of Fresh Cab inside and in the storage compartments then spray Exterminators Choice Vehicle Protection on the landing gear, tires, etc. (anything in contact or even close to the ground) as a deterrent. I change the Fresh Cab pouches and spray more of the Exterminators Choice product monthly. If you have holes as mentioned above steel wool is definitely the best to use. Mice will chew through caulk, foam, etc. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel wool should work to keep the mice out, but it will rust badly in a drain hole. I now thinking of fabricating a screen for the holes out of a tea infuser or a piece of micro mesh stainless steel gutter cap. If done right, it shouldn't interfere with the operation of the slide and would be a permanent fix.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copper mesh is used by pest control companies. Won't rust and rodents can't get through it. I have used it to keep pests out of outdoor electrical equipment, it works.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stuf-Fit-Copp.../dp/B0001IMLTY

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chief, that's a great solution.

Are you monitoring this GD? Copper mesh should stuffed in the Schwintek drain holes by the factory or dealer to prevent rodent entry.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your input. I will be sure to forward your suggestions to the appropriate individuals.

Missy
    Mailing & Shipping Address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 11356 CR 2, Middlebury, IN 46540
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

Contact us:
    - Call Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Send a fax to (574) 825-9249
    - Or email: [email protected]

*For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name and phone number.*

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you the 2019 2670 MK I picked up last months still has the holes. I'm considering options for filling in these holes. I thought about flexible foam, but if they are truly drains, that is out. Maybe a stainless mesh or the copper wool.
    Bill and Kim
    2019 Imagine 2670 MK, Equalizer WDH
    2020 Ford F250, 7.3 l gas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast