User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Main cabin light switch / lighting upgrades

My wife and I are new owners of a 297RSTS travel trailer. One of the first things my wife did not like was the main cabin light switch being located on the main switch panel. I have read where people have moved the switch to under the hutch cabinet. We didn't like that idea either since it wasn't any closer to the entrance then the main panel. So I added another switch to the left of the bathroom door as you enter the RV. It works out great when you are entering the RV in the dark and the auto on entry light is turned off. I think this is where GD should have placed the main switch in the first place. We also didn't like the lighting in the bathroom. The auto light will not stay on very long. The little switch on the light is too high for my wife to reach to turn it on full time. So I added a second Facon 4.5 inch LED light to the bathroom. It matches the factory installed light and really lights the shower up now. The third lighting upgrade was to add reading lights to the bedroom. The factory installed lights above the headboard are too high and too bright for a reading light. Anyone that uses them for this purpose probably knows that. They shine right into your face. So I installed a reading light on each side of the closet cabinets up by the headboard. No sure why GD does not install lights like this from the factory. The past three RV's I have owned has had some sort of adjustable reading lights by the bed.

Craig and Carrie
    2018 Reflection 297RSTS
    2012 F350 6.7 Powerstroke FX4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171021_211347.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	10394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171028_125735.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	10395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171028_151359.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	10396

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the reading lights!

If you don't mind sharing, I have a few questions about the reading lights...
    -Where did you pick-up your 12vdc / how did you route your wiring?
    -Where did you get the fixtures?

-William
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the lighting in the entryway, I rewired the motion sensor entry light to the unswitched battery bus so that it comes on when we enter whether the battery power is on or off. It's also nice to have the light on when I exit and lock up. Big improvement.

I like the idea of the bed reading lights and would also like to see additional details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lptxtandem View Post
    I like the reading lights!

If you don't mind sharing, I have a few questions about the reading lights...
    -Where did you pick-up your 12vdc / how did you route your wiring?
    -Where did you get the fixtures?

-William

William - I purchased these lights from Amazon. In my opinion they are high quality LED lights. The install is simple to do. I picked up 12vdc from the overhead reading lights that GD installed above the bed. Remove the GD reading light and AC outlet on both sides. That will allow you to route the wire from the GD light down to the cabinet side. It is all open in front of the bed cabinetry under the front cap. Be aware of where you make the hole for the wire. You must make sure it is forward of the closet inside forward curved panel. I believe I installed mine 4 inches back from the headboard and 2.5 inches down from the bottom of the shelf above the headboard. There is also a curved aluminum frame inside that area on both sides you need to avoid. I made a 3/4 inch hole to allow easy wire passage. The closet side panel is very thick here so i used a small hole saw to make a nice cut. The first picture is looking into the AC outlet hole on the right hand side. You can see the closet curved panel and the aluminum frame in the lower right of the picture. The second picture is looking into the left side AC outlet hole. There is a wire bundle running right through that area on my coach in addition to the aluminum frame. I would think it is the same on all coaches of this model. Sorry I don't have more pictures of this install project. Here is a link to the lights I installed.

Craig

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	20171028_134905.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	10398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171028_143547.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	10399
    2018 Reflection 297RSTS
    2012 F350 6.7 PSD FX4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroman23 View Post
    William - I purchased these lights from Amazon. In my opinion they are high quality LED lights. The install is simple to do. I picked up 12vdc from the overhead reading lights that GD installed above the bed. Remove the GD reading light and AC outlet on both sides. That will allow you to route the wire from the GD light down to the cabinet side. It is all open in front of the bed cabinetry under the front cap. Be aware of where you make the hole for the wire. You must make sure it is forward of the closet inside forward curved panel. I believe I installed mine 4 inches back from the headboard and 2.5 inches down from the bottom of the shelf above the headboard. There is also a curved aluminum frame inside that area on both sides you need to avoid. I made a 3/4 inch hole to allow easy wire passage. The closet side panel is very thick here so i used a small hole saw to make a nice cut. The first picture is looking into the AC outlet hole on the right hand side. You can see the closet curved panel and the aluminum frame in the lower right of the picture. The second picture is looking into the left side AC outlet hole. There is a wire bundle running right through that area on my coach in addition to the aluminum frame. I would think it is the same on all coaches of this model. Sorry I don't have more pictures of this install project. Here is a link to the lights I installed.

Craig

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	20171028_134905.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	10398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171028_143547.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	10399
    Wow, thanks for the great reply! This info will make installation a lot easier!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig - Have you checked to see if these lights generate any interference with over-the-air television reception? The reason that I ask, is that I installed very similar looking dimmable LED lights on my boat, only to find that whenever these lights were turned on, the TV reception cut out!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - That is a good question. Last time we camped I don't remember if we used the lights and TV at same time. So I went out to the coach and checked. These lights do not cause any interference with over the air reception of either TV's. I also checked the AM/FM reception of the Furrion system installed by GD. No interference with that system either.

-Craig
    2018 Reflection 297RSTS
    2012 F350 6.7 PSD FX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you get the wires for the main lights around the corner next to the bathroom door?
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2013 F350 Ultimate Lariat PSD/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTS in PA View Post
    How did you get the wires for the main lights around the corner next to the bathroom door?
    The wires do not go around the curved corner. They are dropped down from inside the ceiling through the wall top plate. The switch is connected into the circuit at the hallway LED puck light. On the 297RSTS it is the light right in front of the bedroom door. That is where the ceiling light circuit starts after leaving the main switch panel. All of this is done through the ceiling opening when you remove the bathroom vent garnish. It is not the easiest mod to due and it's time consuming, but it can be done.

- Craig
    2018 Reflection 297RSTS
    2012 F350 6.7 PSD FX4