User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing Res. Fridge.

Any ideas on how critical it is to winterize the ice maker line on a residential fridge? No one seems to know the right process. Mine is located in the freezer.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that question also. I would like to know how to remove the water in the ice maker after the ice has melted.
    I really wish there was some convenient way to turn off the refrigerator other than throwing the breaker. You need to turn it off and dry it out (including the ice maker) to keep it from getting moldy.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 Solitude 310GK-R which has a Samsung residential refrigerator and an ice maker in the freezer section. To winterize it last winter I turned off the water for the ice maker in the wet bay and emptied all of the ice from the ice maker. I then, with the slideout extended, disconnected the water line to the refrigerator at the slideout wall (there is an easy unscrew connection there). I then shook both ends of the disconnected line vigorously to get as much water out as possible. After I had dumped all of the water from the water tank, I opened the valve in the wet bay for the water line for the ice maker and blew out all of my water lines. A small amount of water came out of the feed side of the ice maker line. I couldn't find an easy way to blow out the rest of the ice maker line behind the refrigerator. Had no problems when I reconnected the ice maker in the spring. Hope this helps.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Larsslc,
    Joe in Colorado here, You still happy with your winterization process on the ice maker? I have a SAMSUNG residential in our 344GK and would like to do my own winterization this year and the ice maker is the only item that worries me

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found information on another forum on how to winterize the Samsung residential refrigerator. After winterizing the unit flip the ice maker water supply switch to ON position on the Nautilus unit. This will supply antifreeze to the ice maker. With the pump on and your line connected to the city water outlet still in antifreeze jug go to the refrigerator. Under the ice maker tray there is a small white switch that will cycle the ice maker. Push button to cycle ice maker until pink antifreeze begins to dump into the ice tray. It took me about fifteen cycles to get the antifreeze to pump up to the ice tray. Highly recommend placing a towel on bottom of refrigerator to absorb dumped water in the lines and dumped antifreeze. I was amazed how much water was dumped out of the supply line. Great potential to freeze. With the anti freeze in the lines you wont have to worry about any water that could be left inside of the solenoid and valve that supplies water to icemaker. If that freezes you could have an expensive repair bill later and potential leak. Great procedure and no disconnecting lines or blowing out the line. When done flip the icemaker switch on Nautilus unit back to off. Hope this helps. Worked for me

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need to have the Fridge on and in ice maker mode?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    Found information on another forum on how to winterize the Samsung residential refrigerator. After winterizing the unit flip the ice maker water supply switch to ON position on the Nautilus unit. This will supply antifreeze to the ice maker. With the pump on and your line connected to the city water outlet still in antifreeze jug go to the refrigerator. Under the ice maker tray there is a small white switch that will cycle the ice maker. Push button to cycle ice maker until pink antifreeze begins to dump into the ice tray. It took me about fifteen cycles to get the antifreeze to pump up to the ice tray. Highly recommend placing a towel on bottom of refrigerator to absorb dumped water in the lines and dumped antifreeze. I was amazed how much water was dumped out of the supply line. Great potential to freeze. With the anti freeze in the lines you wont have to worry about any water that could be left inside of the solenoid and valve that supplies water to icemaker. If that freezes you could have an expensive repair bill later and potential leak. Great procedure and no disconnecting lines or blowing out the line. When done flip the icemaker switch on Nautilus unit back to off. Hope this helps. Worked for me
    This is what I do also. Though I never have turned to valve in the panel off. As far as the dumped water I just hit the button and quickly slide the tray back and the ice bucket catches the water. When it finally runs pink just dump the bucket.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratzpac View Post
    Do you need to have the Fridge on and in ice maker mode?
    The compressor can be off I believe. Not sure about the ice maker mode.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need the refrigerator on so solenoid valve has power to cycle antifreeze up to the icemaker. On our Solitude the refrigerator powers on when connected to power. If connected to truck or battery you will need to switch power to 12Volts. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a res frig and use the test button to pull pink stuff into the ice maker. When I "dewinterize" in the spring I push all the pink out using the same process with a sanitizing mix of water/bleach and let it sit in the ice tray for a bit so we are not drinking antifreeze. I also discard the first few batches of ice.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast