User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryHolderby View Post
    I have seen a bunch of negative comments on towing with a Ford F150. We have a 2018 Ford F150 with 3.5L EcoBoost V6, 4X4, FX4, max trailer towing package, 4.55 axle. According to the email from Ford I received it has a towing capacity of 12700lbs. We are looking at a 297RSTS travel trailer. Will this pickup safely tow this trailer?
    I have a 2017 f150 similar to yours (see my signature line for details). The main difference is that mine is a 4x2, and consequently my payload capacity is higher than yours, at a little over 2,000 lbs. I tow a 30' Imagine 2600RB (GVWR just under 7,000 lbs). With my 10,000 lb Equal-i-zer hitch properly adjusted, the f150 tows it quite easily with very little sway. (I've now towed this combination about 3,800 miles.) The one issue I do have is with "porpoising". I think the reason for this is that while the Max Tow Package (at least on the 2017's) beefs up the front end, it doesn't do anything for the rear suspension. So I'm now considering adding Timbren's SES or some other suspension "helper" to beef up the rear some to reduce the porpoising. I haven't made a firm decision on this yet, so I'm open to suggestions...
    2018 Imagine 2600RB
    2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LT Crew Cab, Vortec 6L V8, 4.10 Rear Axle
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000# Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F150 I ordered has the Heavy Duty Payload package, which is extremely rare. I looked all over the country for a dealership that had one on their lot, and only found a couple which were SuperCabs (more than 1,000 miles from where I live near Houston, TX). The dealer I ordered mine from could not locate any within a 6 state area. This package includes an additional leaf (total of 3) in the rear springs, and has a rear axle GAWR of 4800 lbs. Total GVWR is 7,850 lbs, and it also comes with a 3.73 rear axle. However, I have just about decided to tow a 5er with my truck - most likely the Reflection 150 Series 230RL at this point. My next step (once I get over 1,000 miles on the truck), is to choose and add a 5th wheel hitch - that is my current dilemma! If I was considering going the TT route, I would seriously consider the Imagine 2600RB or 2670MK.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ulmer View Post
    I have a 2017 f150 similar to yours (see my signature line for details). The main difference is that mine is a 4x2, and consequently my payload capacity is higher than yours, at a little over 2,000 lbs. I tow a 30' Imagine 2600RB (GVWR just under 7,000 lbs). With my 10,000 lb Equal-i-zer hitch properly adjusted, the f150 tows it quite easily with very little sway. (I've now towed this combination about 3,800 miles.) The one issue I do have is with "porpoising". I think the reason for this is that while the Max Tow Package (at least on the 2017's) beefs up the front end, it doesn't do anything for the rear suspension. So I'm now considering adding Timbren's SES or some other suspension "helper" to beef up the rear some to reduce the porpoising. I haven't made a firm decision on this yet, so I'm open to suggestions...
    Hi Mark - a couple of things that the factory Heavy Payload package adds are an additional leaf to the rear springs and LT (light truck) rather than P (passenger) tires. You might want to consider changing your rear springs to the HDPP springs and your tires to LT ones that have stiffer sidewalls and run at a higher pressure. I added the Airlift air bags with on-board wireless controlled compressor. The nice thing about this system is you can change rear suspension firmness on the fly to suit the road conditions.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ulmer View Post
    We have the exact same truck you have. Currently we tow a Lance with an Andersen hitch (5500 to 6000 fully loaded--750 lb tongue), and it tows beautifully. I would be very interested in what you do to rectify the porpoising as I'm seriously considering a 2500RL.
    2016 Ford F-150 Lariat Super Crew, 3.5 EB engine, Max tow Pkg.
    2016.5 Lance 2285
    Sonoma Co Ca.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryHolderby View Post
    Any other suggestions for a travel trailer that would be better to tow with the F150? Obviously the pickup is new so not going to be switching towing vehicles anytime soon. I appreciate all the input you guys are giving. My husband and I are new to this, having farmed and ranched all our lives we are ready for some relaxation and fun.
    We have the exact same truck you have. Currently we tow a Lance 2285 with an Andersen hitch. The trailer weighs 5500 to 6000 fully loaded--750 lb tongue, and it tows beautifully. The hitch only adds 40 lbs to the total tongue weight.
    2016 Ford F-150 Lariat Super Crew, 3.5 EB engine, Max tow Pkg.
    2016.5 Lance 2285
    Sonoma Co Ca.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Mark - a couple of things that the factory Heavy Payload package adds are an additional leaf to the rear springs and LT (light truck) rather than P (passenger) tires. You might want to consider changing your rear springs to the HDPP springs and your tires to LT ones that have stiffer sidewalls and run at a higher pressure. I added the Airlift air bags with on-board wireless controlled compressor. The nice thing about this system is you can change rear suspension firmness on the fly to suit the road conditions.

Rob
    Thanks for the info.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gscott View Post
    We have the exact same truck you have. Currently we tow a Lance with an Andersen hitch (5500 to 6000 fully loaded--750 lb tongue), and it tows beautifully. I would be very interested in what you do to rectify the porpoising as I'm seriously considering a 2500RL.
    Just installed Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate air bags with on-board air compressor. Since my TT is now in storage for the winter, I won't be able to test this for several months yet.
    2018 Imagine 2600RB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2012 is very similar, but 4x4 and 3.73. I've got the Timbren system and upgraded tires, and I'm towing a 220RK. I'm thinking of adding the extra leaf in the spring (no pun intended), but quite frankly I've been over the Blue Ridge in some nasty winds, and up into the Poconos, and have had absolutely no issues. Payload is pushing it though, and I can see that having a long term effect. But for now (miles are still low), I'm not concerned. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Sumosprings. A great balance between the fit and forget Timbrens and the functionality, cushioning, and stability of air bags.

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ctdecuir. I just bought a 2014 (32K miles) F-150 Supercab 4x4 with Heavy Duty Payload (2002 lbs), Max Tow, 3.73 axle ratio, integrated trailer brake control - everything except backup camera. I also spent weeks searching the web and finally found the truck outside of Milwaukee. I was visiting my son ,in CA when I found it so over 4 days flew to Milwaukee, bought the truck, drove to Nashville for Christmas then home to Maryland (whew). Currently I'm waiting on inspection results for a Reflection 27RL. Trailer has a GVWR of 10,900 lbs and payload of 1,500 and this was one of the very few F150 configurations that can handle the RV within spec.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast