User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane tank 1 empty - how do I engage tank #2?

What's weird is the fridge temp has climbed to 58. I don't even hear it running. And we're hooked up to shore power at a rv park.

Tank #1 is empty according to my little meter (the one with the eraser nub on the end). So I turned the valve closed on tank #1 at the tank. Then I opened the valve on tank #2 . Did I do that correctly?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the auto-switching regulator (which I think all the rigs have), both propane valves should be open at all times. The lever on the regulator should point to the tank you want to use first (the indicator in the little window will be green). When tank 1 empties, the window will turn red and the regulator will automatically switch. You can then turn the lever to tank 2 and remove tank 1 and take it to get it filled.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming the tank is filled, and the regulators are working, and you opened the valve slowly so not to trip the emergency shutoff on the tank, all you do it turn it on and the system “should” auto switch over. Depending on the type of switchover regulator installed there may be a lever to force which tank is on. Lastly, if by chance you have a bad secondary regulator, you could always physically swap the tanks.

Regarding the fridge, are you running on electic or on propane? Where are your switch settings on the fridge. Go open the hatch and feel the “chimney pipe”, is it hot? If so it is on...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What mode is the refridgerator set to?

If you’re on shore power is fridge set to electric mode? If so it doesn’t use propane and it should cool even with both tanks empty or turned off.

If you are running it on gas/propane mode for some reason, the instructions others have provided above should work.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Shore power the fridge is mot working . Woke up this morning to the fridge at 59bdegrees. Ugh. I've got it on auto so it should switch to electric or propane by itself. But switching it to either auot, electric or propane - none of that works

Interestingly the area over the switches is warm to the touch.

I wonder if running out of propane while we were on the road did anything to it? But once we were back on Shore power it should have started up again.

It sucks cause now I have to throw out the food, and I have to find a repair place while on the road.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lexx - If you ran out of propane, it it possible that the line needs to be purged of air when you switch to the new tank. To do this, light the stove. When all burners will run smoothly with blue flames on high, the propane lines are purged of air. Turn off the stove burners and try the fridge again on propane.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed purging the lines was the first thing I did. The stove burners burn cleanly. Regardless, since we are now on shore power thr fridge should run, even without propane correct?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Indeed purging the lines was the first thing I did. The stove burners burn cleanly. Regardless, since we are now on shore power thr fridge should run, even without propane correct?
    Correct . . . but sometimes a fridge will fail on shore power but still work on propane or vice versa. Sounds like yours may have failed on both. There are fuses under a plastic cover on the lower backside of the fridge. First thing to do would be to check these.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Correct . . . but sometimes a fridge will fail on shore power but still work on propane or vice versa. Sounds like yours may have failed on both. There are fuses under a plastic cover on the lower backside of the fridge. First thing to do would be to check these.

Rob
    How do I remove the plastic cover? Does it just pull off? Any trick to removing it? This is the black plastic cover kn the outside of the trailer with the drain tube sticking out from it yes?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you run in to any weather or wash the rig? Maybe the high limit switch tripped and needs to be reset with a magnet.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast