User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Springs Failures

I'm surprised no mention of spring failures. it's all over the place on GD facebook?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just did a quick search and found several threads discussion broken springs. Here are a few:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...=broken+spring

It's important to note that GDRV switched to Dexter springs on all models starting around the first of September, 2017. It will be interesting to see if the broken spring issue goes away.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened to me long before I had a GD and now I make it a point of carrying an extra spring just in case.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to this spring failure issue. Does anybody know if it would help reduce the odds of a spring failure by upgrading from the Lippert Equaflex suspension to the MORryde SRE4000?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm new to this spring failure issue. Does anybody know if it would help reduce the odds of a spring failure by upgrading from the Lippert Equaflex suspension to the MORryde SRE4000?
    Only if springs are part of the package. The issue, if I recall, was mostly on the 303 and on the driver's side due to the large side-to-side weight difference because of the kitchen slide. "Other Rob" (the Canadian one) wrote quite a bit about this, I believe. Perhaps he'll see this and chime in.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what the effect tires might have on the suspension, some owners are going to heavy duty tires that weigh 60 lbs verses the stock tire is 30 lbs!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whaines View Post
    I don't know what the effect tires might have on the suspension, some owners are going to heavy duty tires that weigh 60 lbs verses the stock tire is 30 lbs!
    My "spring work" was more about matching the strength of the springs to the load being carried. On the 303, this means OE 2600 lb springs on the right and upgrading to 3000 lb springs on the left . . . to get the trailer to ride level despite being about 800 lbs heavier on the left side. This seemed obvious to me (and to others on this forum) but LCI would not even consider it. I wonder if Dexter matches the springs to the load being carried ?

whaines brings up an interesting point that I have wondered about in the past. It would be interesting to chart spring breakage against tire upgrades. The springs and tires share the load carrying and particularly the impact absorbing. If either one is significantly strengthened, the other is going to be doing most of the flexing. Upgraded tires running at higher pressure than original will also put a lot more impact loads into the frame, body and contents. Consider how your truck would ride if you significantly increased it's tire pressures.

In the case of the 303, changing the left side springs levels out the trailer when towing, but the left side tires are still carrying 800 lbs more than the right side tires. I have not encountered a broken spring, but my original 2600 lb left side springs were permanently deformed by the weight they were carrying.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When our spring broke we were on the original Westlake tires. Our trailer empty has a 40# weight delta side to side so I don't think that had anything to do with the failure. I think they are just poor quality springs and in the case of our trailer probably over loaded by design. Hopefully the Dexter springs are made in a different part of China.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    ...despite being about 800 lbs heavier on the left side...
    Wow! I thought my rig was lopsided at about 440lbs heavier on the street side.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 303 started out 474 lbs heavier on the left side from the factory (4022 vs 3548). Then, all the storage . . . entertainment center cupboards, pantry, drawers beside stove, fridge, buffet, bedroom closet . . . is on the left side. Not difficult to add 325 lbs in all that storage space. The right side still weighs about what it did empty . . . the only storage on that whole side is the small cabinets above the recliners. The 337 is more-or-less the same and this will only get worse for these layouts with the new larger fridges. Don't get me wrong . . . we love the layout of our 303 and wouldn't choose any other. It just took a little extra work to get it to tow level side-to-side .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast