User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is correct. If you have a fifth wheel between 10k-15k lbs GVWR, you'll need a special permit added to your class C DL known as "Restriction 41". It's a simple matter of taking an easy written test.

The moment you cross over 15k lbs GVWR on a fifth wheel, you're into a non-commercial Class A.

And in California the 26k lb GCWR does NOT apply. You could tow with anything up to 26k lbs GVWR and two axles with your Class C, so long as you comply with the trailer class restrictions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	license requirements non commercial class A.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	32401

Name:	license requirements.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	32402

Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    In CA forget about the 26,000 lb thing. Instead,

5th wheel 15,000+ = non-commercial class A

TT 10,000+ = non-commercial class A

Motorhome up to 40ft = regular class C
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    In CA forget about the 26,000 lb thing. Instead,

5th wheel 15,000+ = non-commercial class A

TT 10,000+ = non-commercial class A

Motorhome up to 40ft = regular class C
    Now I understand why my 297RSTS is GVWR 9995...makes sense.
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    This is correct. If you have a fifth wheel between 10k-15k lbs GVWR, you'll need a special permit added to your class C DL known as "Restriction 41". It's a simple matter of taking an easy written test.

The moment you cross over 15k lbs GVWR on a fifth wheel, you're into a non-commercial Class A.

And in California the 26k lb GCWR does NOT apply. You could tow with anything up to 26k lbs GVWR and two axles with your Class C, so long as you comply with the trailer class restrictions.

Name:	license requirements non commercial class A.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	32401

Name:	license requirements.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	32402
    Are these requirements based upon your home state or are they applicable in the state in which you are operating at the moment?
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    Are these requirements based upon your home state or are they applicable in the state in which you are operating at the moment?
    You are obligated to follow what every the rules are in your state of residence. For example, I live in TN and there are NO special requirements for any RV....5ver, Motorcoach, whatever. And the great part of that is that I am legal in all of the other 49 states as long as I'm legal in my residence state. Having said that, do not confuse that requirement with the "Rules of the Road" requirement. An example of that would be speed limits, triple towing, length requirement, etc. Those rules of the road must be followed no matter what state you live in. Hope that helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    AFAIK the rules you need to follow are the rules of the state in which your DL is registered to.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You are obligated to follow what every the rules are in your state of residence. For example, I live in TN and there are NO special requirements for any RV....5ver, Motorcoach, whatever. And the great part of that is that I am legal in all of the other 49 states as long as I'm legal in my residence state. Having said that, do not confuse that requirement with the "Rules of the Road" requirement. An example of that would be speed limits, triple towing, length requirement, etc. Those rules of the road must be followed no matter what state you live in. Hope that helps.
    Thank you!
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to wonder how anyone can read a thread like this and still preach that any of the ratings, especially the tire sticker payload ratings, mean anything other than revenue. Safety? lol. Not even the states can agree on that one. Manufacturer ratings are based on the arbitrary rules and regulations listed here by each state trying to squeeze as much as they can out of the lime. GVWR ratings are nothing but an effort to get around revenue. In many states, you can't...lol. Doesn't mean you're unsafe.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Georgia it's all about the revenue. You need the non commercial license, but only required to take written test. No road test.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiem316 View Post
    Sir, CWSWine

I am in Kansas also. Did you ever get class A non commercial license? If so what was process? I can’t find anything online. Thanks in advance
    Welcome to the forum. You've got the advice you needed re: the driver's license. Here's advice about using the forum.

To get CWSWine's or any user's attention enter an '@' symbol immediately in front of the username, as in @Eddiem316. (It's especially important when replying to a thread that has been dormant for years.) When you do that an alert is generated for the person you've referenced, so that they will know to return to the thread and see why you've mentioned them.

When replying to a post in the thread, it's usually best to use the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right corner of every message. That copies the text you're responding to into your reply (see your text in this message?) which improves context for people reading here in the future. It also, again, generates an alert for the person you're responding to to ensure that they come back to the thread and see your reply.

Finally, if you're going to stick around and ask questions about your trailer, it's a good idea to create a "signature" that will appear at the bottom of every message you post. It should include at least the year, line, and model of your trailer if not also other information about your setup that helps people understand what equipment you have so that they can better answer your questions, and others can ask you questions specific to your equipment. You create the signature by clicking on Settings in the top right corner, and then on Edit Signature under My Settings on the left side of the resulting page.

Again, welcome.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently decided to move up to a class a motor home a s discovered the non commercial class a or b license requirement in Kansas. The thing that is baffling me is I’ve been to 4 different RV dealers in the Wichita area and they all said no special license is required. Finally today I just whipped out my phone while at a dealer and showed them the requirements. I’ve also inquired at my local dmv and they said the same thing. The thing that baffles me is the lack of knowledge from both the dealers selling these rigs and lack of knowledge at the dmv. And according to an earlier post it’s not an isolated issue.

There is also a pretty significant lack of information online about what I need to do to prepare for a change from class c to presumably a class A non commercial since most diesel class a motor homes are well above the 26000 lb GRWV and I’d like to tow a vehicle behind the RV. If I understand correctly I’d need a class B non commercial license to operate a vehicle over 26000 lbs GRWV and a class A to tow another vehicle behind it.

Hopefully someone here can educate me to if I’m correct in my understanding of kansas law pertaining to this situation and where I might be able to get the proper information to prepare for any written and driving tests I need. I’ve already spent several hours looking online and asking local dmv and law enforcement and having discussions with RV salesmen. I’m sure not going to make an investment on a expensive RV until I’m sure I can legally operate it. Thanks
    Last edited by Azlin75; 03-13-2021 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Mistake

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast