User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NON Commercial Driver License

Had a gentleman from Kansas in the next lot over and talk with him he got nail for not have the right class of driver license while operating a motorhome over 26,001 pounds. Spent sometime at the Kansas driver license and found that I need a NON Commercial Class B to driver a motorhome and tow less than 10,000 pounds. If I was to tow over 10,000 pounds I would need a NON Commercial Class A. Then the subject some up about trucks and 5ers and sure enough if you exceed 26,001 pounds with the truck and 5er combined and you 5er was over 10,000 pounds a NON Commercial Class A would be required. The kicker is is not what scale weights but the GVWR of the both the truck and the 5er.

1 Ton SRW Truck with GVWR of 11,500 (26,001 - 11,500) would limited to a 5er that GVWR weights nor more than 14,501.

1 Ton DRW Truck with GVWR of 14,000 (26,001 - 14,000) would limited to a 5er that GVWR weights nor more than 12,001.

Did some checking and lot of states have that requirement and some exempt RVs (Florida) but I had no idea with a GMC 3500 (11,500 GVWR) and my Solitude with a 15,000 I needed a Class A NON Commercial Driver License. Since this is the only person I have heard of that hit for worn Driver License I guess the biggest fear would be in court case. Since my new motorhome weights in 36,400 GVWR and combine rating of 46,400 there isn't any gray area for me know. Off to testing.. Just a note it has a 380 HP Cummins Diesel and pulls great.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for the wrong word above usage but can't edit. I should of also said that this was my second trip to DMV and the first person said that Kansas didn't have a NON Commercial driver license and my Class C standard license was good to any weight RV and when mention the restriction of the back she said that RVs were exempt and not to pay any attention to that if it is a RV. Which a talking with the supervisor and call to the main DMV a Class A or Class B are required for RVs ov 26,001 combined weight.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In CA forget about the 26,000 lb thing. Instead,

5th wheel 15,000+ = non-commercial class A

TT 10,000+ = non-commercial class A

Motorhome up to 40ft = regular class C
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every state is different. Your home state registration determines what laws you have to follow.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a link with helpful information that lists the requirements for each state:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Every state is different. Your home state registration determines what laws you have to follow.
    You are correct, they are different. If your state doesn't have the requirement then good to go in all states. The problem comes when the local DMV doesn't know the law but they expect you to follow it. I thought I was 100% legal with 1 ton (11,500 GVWR) and Solitude (15,000 GVWR) but found out couple days ago I need a NON CommercialClass A to drive it. If someone ask me a week ago I would said "I checked and not required in Kansas" but I was wrong. I probably have a 99% chance of every getting caught by the authorities but what about an accident and a civil case and not being licensed to drive the rig. For me it comes down to CYA.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Here is a link with helpful information that lists the requirements for each state:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Jim
    That is the list I brought in on my first visit to the DMV and they said "Do you believe everything you read on the internet" and claimed not required for RV in Kansas. Today they said they were wrong and after further research a NON Commercial is required. That after I drove over 12,000 miles in just motorhome since March and untold thousands of miles with 5er. I guess the DMV not knowing it was required and sending me on my way is what upset me the most. The lady customer service counter at the DMV said she has been ask that question a lot over the last couple of years the answer is NO. After finding out that was a requirement she said I was first person to ever ask the question. Ask the supervisor how many NON Commercial do they do and said after the last 12 years he can't remember doing any. OK -- Thanks for listening I got off my chest. Thanks.....

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait til you start the testing process. I had to walk them through it. Be sure you know what you need before you go in. Good luck to all that have to deal with the offices that know not what to do.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Just wait til you start the testing process. I had to walk them through it. Be sure you know what you need before you go in. Good luck to all that have to deal with the offices that know not what to do.
    They had to order the study guide which when pick it up today it was a standard Class C manual. I ask about the written part and they said it was the same one that I took when I got my regular Class C and no special test for Class B. Then i ask about the driving part and they said it was the same one that you take when get a Class C and the only purpose was to insure you can drive the coach. Then I asked about parallel parking and said that we may skip that part of the test.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir, CWSWine

I am in Kansas also. Did you ever get class A non commercial license? If so what was process? I can’t find anything online. Thanks in advance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast