Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perspective Owners - Choosing a Fifth Wheel or Travel Trailer

From time to time, perspective owners are not really sure whether a fifth wheel or travel trailer is the best choice for their needs. Since I've owned both, I thought I'd post my observations regarding the characteristics of both. These are certainly debatable, but you can use the conversation to help make your selection:

OVERALL HEIGHT- Travel trailers are typically 18-24" shorter which allows for better clearance on low bridges, roofs and tree branches - Advantage TT

OVERALL LENGTH - A truck/RV combination for similar sized units will be shorter with a FW because part of the unit is over the bed of the truck. Advantage FW.

SWAY - A properly set up FW will not sway. A TT can be more susceptible to sway, wind and air currents from large vehicles. This can be minimized with a anti sway hitch in most cases. It can be eliminated with a Hensley or Pro-pride hitch ($2500-$3000) due to their changing the natural pivot point. Advantage - FW

STAIRS - No interior stairs on a TT. Good for people with knee, hip, or mobility problems. Advantage - TT

BASEMENT STORAGE - Significantly more storage is available on fifth wheels. Advantage - FW.

HITCHING/UNHITCHING - A fifth wheel is typically easier to hitch up than a TT because you can see the connection point easier, and you don't have to maneuver the front of the unit up and then down like you do on a TT. Advantage - FW.

HEAD ROOM - A FW typically has very spacious head room in the living area but less so in the bedroom. A TT has less headroom in the living area but more in the bedroom. Advantage - None.

TRUCK BED STORAGE - Since a FW hitch is in the center of the bed, a TT has significantly more truck bed storage than a FW. There can be even more if a topper is placed on the truck. Advantage - TT.

PAYLOAD - On equivalent 12,000# trailers, the FW will add 2,640# of weight to the truck at 22% pin weight. The TT will add 1,440# at 12% tongue weight. Advantage TT.

DOUBLE TOWING - More states allow double towing with a FW vs. a TT. But note that it is not legal in all states or provinces. Advantage - FW.

HITCHING DAMAGE - A FW can drop on a truck bed if not properly latched. In addition, a frequent error is to forget about the tailgate and damage it. Advantage - TT.

TURNING DAMAGE - Any unit can be turned too sharply or jackknifed. But special slider hitches or care must be taken when pulling a FW with a short bed truck. Otherwise, roof pillars and/or windows can be damaged. Advantage TT.

UTILITIES - Items like converters, water heaters and furnaces can be placed in the basement area of a FW. On a TT, they usually take up space that would be used for cabinets. Advantage - FW.

TURNING - A TT tires follow nearly the same path of the tow vehicle tires. A FW's tires cut inside the line of the tow vehicle tires. This makes it easier to strike a curb with a FW on tight turns. Advantage - TT.

BACKING - A TT is much more responsive to steering wheel inputs over short distances than a comparable FW. Advantage - TT.

HEATING/COOLING - A TT typically has less cubic feet of air to heat or cool. Advantage TT.

I'm sure this post will generate quite a few responses. Please debate the characteristics I posted above or list others if desired.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "BACKING - A TT is much more responsive to steering wheel inputs over short distances than a comparable FW. Advantage - TT."

Not sure how you derived this statement, unless you mean the steering input is much more SENSITIVE to steering inputs, which induces much more over steering and then counter steering to correct. The lack thereof of this with a FW makes for easier backing. I have/and do own both types of trailers. Advantage - FW

In all seriousness, good right up. I had to nit pick on something. I believe a less experience driver could adapt to a FW faster than a TT in the "Backing" category.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with Jim that a TT is more responsive than a 5th wheel to TV steering inputs when backing. This is because the bumper hitch moves off the centreline as soon as the front of the truck moves in the opposite direction. With the 5th wheel attachment over the centre of the rear axle, more TV angle and more trailer rearward travel is required to cause the same amount of trailer turn. I have a manual slider hitch and have backed the 5th wheel with the pin over the truck axle and with the pin 10" behind the truck axle . . . behind the truck axle (sort of like a TT) is easier to maneuver (in my opinion).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write-up Jim.

Lower cost for the same living space might go to the TT also.

FW often has a generator option.

Not a lot of higher end TTs. The sky is the limit for FWs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious to see what other comments come up.

I can't comment yet being I only towed my 1st 5er a few hundred miles from the dealer to my home. However the towing experience was a good one so far.

I have heard that you can get a longer 5th wheel in a tighter spot being you can jack knife it in and less nose swing in the bushes from the tow vehicle then a shorter TT. However not sure if that's true or not...time will tell. If I remember next year after camping season I should have real experiences to add...
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    BACKING - A TT is much more responsive to steering wheel inputs over short distances than a comparable FW. Advantage - TT.
    I agree Jim!

I find it WAY easier to back up a TT than a FW. No comparison. I look like an expert when I back up our boat or snowmobile trailer. I look like a total rookie when I back up our 5th wheel. Its embarrassing. I can do it but it takes multiple attempts. As a result, I choose pull through sites at RV parks when available.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I agree Jim!

I find it WAY easier to back up a TT than a FW. No comparison. I look like an expert when I back up our boat or snowmobile trailer. I look like a total rookie when I back up our 5th wheel. Its embarrassing. I can do it but it takes multiple attempts. As a result, I choose pull through sites at RV parks when available.
    My neighbor who's owned his 5th wheel for 10 years said that it took him awhile to catch on how to back up his 5er. He said it's different then a bumper pull. He also told me after he masterd it, That it was alot easier to get it into tighter spots.

How much practice have you had backing it up so far?

Also maybe a harder transition to switch between bumper pull and 5er, what would make it even harder if you are using your boat alot more then your 5er that probably doesn’t help.

Take what I say with a grain of salt I have no experience yet with it.
    I am just going off what my neighbor says. Hopefully we will get some seasoned veterans to respond.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
    My neighbor who's owned his 5th wheel for 10 years said that it took him awhile to catch on how to back up his 5er. He said it's different then a bumper pull. He also told me after he masterd it, That it was alot easier to get it into tighter spots.

How much practice have you had backing it up so far?

Also maybe a harder transition to switch between bumper pull and 5er, what would make it even harder if you are using your boat alot more then your 5er that probably doesn’t help.

Take what I say with a grain of salt I have no experience yet with it.
    I am just going off what my neighbor says. Hopefully we will get some seasoned veterans to respond.
    Just based on my own experience. I've owned travel trailers for 12 years and fifth wheels for 15 years. The TT is much more responsive for me when backing. And I can park it beside my house with two "stabs" vs. the four it took me to park my FW. FWIW, the FW was two feet longer.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHOICES: TTs have more offerings at the shorter lengths, while FWs lead at the longer lengths.

You can get a TT just about as short as you can imagine, 12 ft or less. TTs dominate the market up to 25' or so, while you don't see many FWs shorter than 25'. They exist (see Scamp), but the choices are slim.

From 25' to 35' or so, the market shifts. The number of TTs offered starts to decline while FWs are increasing. Virtually the entire towable market above ~35' is FW.

In part, this may be due to the engineering/swap control issues mentioned above. Another factor might be the relative price insensitivity of those looking at "Big Rigs".

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good writeup, Jim! With the TT, my main complaint was Hitching and unhitching. I hated dealing with the WD hitch and would be soaking wet with sweat by the time I got the WD bars cinched up. The TT things I like; no stairs inside, easier to back, and easier to clean the outside. With the 5th wheel, hitching and unhitching are easier and quicker. We love the auto leveling, but i never minded leveling the TT. We love the bedroom setup on the Solitude 384GK. Things I dislike about the fiver, it's too big, takes forever to wash and wax. We have to diligently check our route for low bridges and overpasses. I don't like the stairs inside and i know I'm eventually gonna tumble down them.

If GD ever makes a Solitude TT with a good bedroom setup, I'll be the first in line to get one. Now with the F350 DRW, I don't need the WD hitch anymore, so that's a non-issue.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast