Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first timer, first trip

Hello,
    Brand new owner of a 303rls fifth wheel. So new that its still sitting on the lot because I needed to buy a truck to pull it since I was pulling with a Yukon. We live for four months in the florida keys and lost our travel trailer that was stored there in the hurricane. Our original idea was to have the trailer delivered and once again leave it stored but once my wife was in it she wants to be able to do some summer trips in it. That being the case I decided to go with a diesel 2500hd to pull it and am currently installing the hitch plates and wiring to accept probably a 2700 pullrite hitch. Once it is all set up I am going to park it in a private lot for a few days to load it then haul it to the keys. (my home is upstate pa, the dealer is near my kids house in the Philly area). I know this is not the ideal scenario but its what ive got to do. Any advice on route, places to stop,(plnning two days like I usually do with my boat but may stretch it to three), things to look out for, warranty support or anything helpful in general would be appreciated. "Don't do it!" is not helpful....lol. I am a retired contractor so anything I can get parts for I can fix as far as warranty issues go. There are also a few good mobile techs in the keys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Welcome to our group! Have some fun
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!!! I've not taken any long trips with our 303rls yet, although we've used it 25 out of 30 days.... but everyone says keep it under 65mph, and don't drive too long 6-8hrs a day. It pulls so easy, you can let your guard down after a few hours on the interstate... I keep reminding myself, my truck is pulling 5er.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have all the skills, and know the route well, so you will be fine, especially since you have already made that trip towing a trailer. You will love how easy the FW tracks, compared to the trailer. We also came from a travel trailer and I noted how the FW tracks differently in the turns, and that took a little getting used to, around gas stations and campgrounds. We went from a 27.5 foot TT to a 32 foot FW, and the overall length reduced.

Sorry, I live out west and don't have any route suggestions. I like http://www.rvparkreviews.com for checking out campground options, if you are not familiar with it. I also like https://www.campsitephotos.com when I'm being really anal about picking a spot, but that's probably overkill for your overnight stays.

Welcome to the family and may you have many happy days in the new rigs.
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing... If you haven't already bought the hitch, consider the Andersen Ultimate 2. There are many fans out there and I love it. It can be installed or pulled in 5 minutes and weighs nothing. Now, installation to hitch plates is probably a little more involved than a gooseneck ball, but still easy. It hooks up to the trailer with ease, and gives plenty of clearance for our 6.5 foot bed.
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a couple of suggestions.

I would suggest spending a couple of days/nights in it, where it's currently located. Kind of a shake down. It may be pretty frustrating to be on the road when you stop for the evening and something isn't working the way it's supposed to (especially the heater!). Propane goes pretty fast when using the heater so you may want to invest in a small space heater....electrical heat is cheaper than propane, when you're plugged in.

Also might want to consider gauges for the propane tanks so that you'll visually know ahead of time, when you're low. It seems like we always run out in the middle of a cold night if we don't have the gauges.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch your tire pressure. Your retired, take your time. Stop at some new places and explore.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JCZ is right. Stay the first few nights close to home. The learning curve is both steep and fun. You’ll be surprised how much stuff you need and don’t have. Plus ideas from your new friends Enjoy!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had the time to stay close. Nothing really around here this time of year, will hit two campgrounds on the way down. I'm committed to be in the keys on the 15th, there I'll have 4 months to figure it all out. There are a few good mobile techs down there and I'm a contractor, retired union electrician. Already planning to replace all the wrong vinyl plumbing connections gd makes with the pex fittings. Anything else I should look at?

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wscdive View Post
    I wish I had the time to stay close. Nothing really around here this time of year, will hit two campgrounds on the way down. I'm committed to be in the keys on the 15th, there I'll have 4 months to figure it all out. There are a few good mobile techs down there and I'm a contractor, retired union electrician. Already planning to replace all the wrong vinyl plumbing connections gd makes with the pex fittings. Anything else I should look at?
    You better get moving. Driving four or five hours a day at 60-65 mph takes time. I was in the RV Maint. Tech. class a few weeks ago and the reports are those RV techs in the Houston area and in the Fl. keys are buried in work and they need more techs down there. However, if you have issues, other experienced RVers are very quick to help out with an issue you may run across. GD builds a pretty nice product and a lot of it was just learning what/where to check for the perceived issue. This web site is always a resource for you.

Good luck down there.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast