User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clog issue? Valve issue?

Hi everyone! We are new to RVing and have jumped in with both feet to full timing. We just bought a used 2016 388 momentum and are having some issues left behind by the previous owners. Our current challenge is the bathroom sink next to the master bedroom not draining. It will be working fine and then all the sudden it will not. The reason I am not committed to it being clogged is that you can run the water and the water level does not rise in the sink. I'm going to run a small snake in to see if that helps, but if it doesn't I'm at a loss because everything I'm reading it's telling me to clean the P-trap and I have no idea how to get to it in this trailer because there is no easy access point in the bathroom.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciate it! Really looking forward to being part of the community.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum. Your problem is most likely caused by a faulty Air Admittance Valve. It is underneath the sink at the top of the drain pipes. I'll post a picture of what it looks like. Since it's difficult to run vent lines to the roof for all the different drains, manufactures frequently resolve the issue with an air admittance valve. It is a perfectly acceptable solution and is used in both RV's and residential applications.

The way it works is that when water is draining, the valve opens up and allows air to go with the liquid. If the valve fails to open, then the only air going in the drain is from the sink itself. This is very inefficient and will cause the sink to drain exactly the way you are reporting. Most owners realize there is a problem with the valve when it accidently sticks open and allows odors from the gray water holding tank to enter the coach.

The good news is that it is very easy and inexpensive to replace. It might be a little tricky to reach, but simply unscrew it, put a couple of wraps of Teflon tape on the new one and screw it in. This should solve your problem immediately. While your at it, I'd replace the valve in the kitchen also. In the picture below, the original valve is on the right, and the replacement valve was from Lowes, and is on the left.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-23-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it sounds like a venting problem so checking/changing the air admittance valve should resolve the issue.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the quick and detailed response! I'll get those as soon as possible. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome to see an issue reported and with-in 30 minutes a simple solution offered. Great example of one of the benefits of this forum.

Hope the fix was this simple; keep us posted psyty4.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you access the underneath of the sink? I have a loose faucet...

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson1273 View Post
    How do you access the underneath of the sink? I have a loose faucet...
    Good morning Lawson1273. Welcome to the forum. In order to help, we'll need a little more info. Is this a bathroom or kitchen faucet? Also what year and model of GDRV product do you own?

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry 2015 grand design Momentum 350m. Main bathroom sink. The faucet is loose amd i dont want water to get underneath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry 2015 grand design Momentum 350m. Main bathroom sink. The faucet is loose amd i dont want water to get underneath.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how to access underneath the kitchen sink in a 2019 Grand Design 2400BH. I de-winterized it and the kitchen sink does not work--produce water--the washroom -toilet-sink all work as does the hot water heater--

The faucet is a stainless steel single lever W/Bullet head part #350327 --

any help or video would be appreciated--

Alaska--