User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a stock 32 gal fuel tank adequate for a diesel?

Is a 32 gal fuel tank adequate for towing or are you folks putting in aux tanks in your diesel trucks? I'm talking about long trips i.e. coast to coast.

Why am I asking? We are trying to make a decision to buy either a 303RLS or 337RLS. I've been looking at the pin weights reported by some of the folks here and I see the 337s as high as 3300#. I would like to add a 50gal aux tank in the bed of my Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 diesel to extend the range, but, that also adds 500# which would limit my available payload to a bit over 2600#, no problem for a 303 but doesn't seem sufficient for a loaded 337.

Would appreciate your input - are you ok with the range you get from the stock tanks? Really glad you've got an aux tank? Comments?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends upon the typical distance, where, and how you drive. Our tow vehicle has a 36 gallon tank. If we are traveling by Interstate, no big deal. State and federal highways take a little more planning.

Most travel days for us start with a full tank of fuel and a plan for fuel stops. I use a combination of apps to locate fuel stops large enough for the rig, no auto lanes for us.

Edit: keep toying with the idea of carrying a 5 gallon emergency jug of fuel.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 34 gals. in the 2001 Ram 2500. I've been to Alaska and Maine, from AZ, towing a TT. Back to Canada last year towing the 303. I beat that same question to death a dozen times. My final answer was that I won't bother with the extra fuel. It might be nice to have, but I've never been worried about running out of fuel and when trying to make good time and cover a lot of ground, I'm ready to stop at the 300 mi. limit anyway.
    Ron & Nancy Ward
    2001 Dodge 2500/ 2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Steve, when I had my previous truck the OEM tank only held 23 gallons. I added a 44 gallon auxiliary tank for a total of about 66 gallons. I loved it but needless to say, it gobbled up a ton of payload capacity.

When we bought our new 3500 I was pleased to see the OEM tank was 37 gallons. We debated whether to add another aux tank and decided to wait and see if it had a negative impact on our travels.

We have now traveled across country twice this year, since buying the new truck, and I'm totally happy with the stock amount of fuel and will not be getting another aux tank.

My truck towing our portly 337 averaged 12 mpg on our recent 11,000 mile cross country trip and it barely had 20,000 miles on it by the time we got home. So my 37 gallon capacity ends up being perfect for our travel style.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do carry 5 gallons. Better to have it and not need it. It will get you another 50 miles or so 'cause you don't want to run out diesel!. If not needed, I pour it in the tank when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    Depends upon the typical distance, where, and how you drive. Our tow vehicle has a 36 gallon tank. If we are traveling by Interstate, no big deal. State and federal highways take a little more planning.

Most travel days for us start with a full tank of fuel and a plan for fuel stops. I use a combination of apps to locate fuel stops large enough for the rig, no auto lanes for us.

2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTN View Post
    Is a 32 gal fuel tank adequate for towing or are you folks putting in aux tanks in your diesel trucks? I'm talking about long trips i.e. coast to coast.

Why am I asking? We are trying to make a decision to buy either a 303RLS or 337RLS. I've been looking at the pin weights reported by some of the folks here and I see the 337s as high as 3300#. I would like to add a 50gal aux tank in the bed of my Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 diesel to extend the range, but, that also adds 500# which would limit my available payload to a bit over 2600#, no problem for a 303 but doesn't seem sufficient for a loaded 337.

Would appreciate your input - are you ok with the range you get from the stock tanks? Really glad you've got an aux tank? Comments?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Wish I had a 32 gal tank in my diesel. Mine's only 23ish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mike & Linda W.
    2017 GD Reflection 311BHS
    SW Michigan

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I don't like about my Titan diesel is that it only has a 26 gallon fuel tank. It's "enough" as when we drive we will make stops every couple of hours to stretch our legs, take care of nature, etc. so when it's convenient I'll simply top off the tank while we're taking a break. In many ways it's a help to me because I'm just under the weight limits when the tank is full, so if I had a bigger tank I'd probably fill it and end up overweight.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, I'll get a 5 gal can. It's a lot cheaper then the aux tank too! Now that means the 337 is back in consideration - I'm really having a serious case of analysis paralysis
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post

What apps do you use to locate fuel stops large enough for your rig?
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
    What apps do you use to locate fuel stops large enough for your rig?
    Primarily rely upon AllStays Camp and RV. Shows fuel, RV parks, dump
    stations, and more.

Next choice are apps from Pilot, Flying J and Loves.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast