Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Has anyone installed a LowPro in the bed of their truck?

Has anyone used one of the LowPro Lockdown setups?

I really like the idea of keeping our Honda 3000 in the bed of the truck because I have a hard bed cover that fits over everything when the 5er is disconnected and the tailgate is up and locked.
    I'm thinking about bolting one of these LowPros down to the truck bed. I did a search, but couldn't find any examples of anyone using one of these in the bed.

If you haven't seen these, the black steel pan would be bolted down to the truck bed (in my example) using flat washers and nylon lock nuts under the bed.
    The trick they show in a video on their website is that since you used a flat washer up against the truck bed, and a locknut, if someone tried removing them
    the bolt would just keep spinning since you can't get to the other end which, which is hidden under the Honda.
    Then the Honda is bolted to the red steel plate, which is then locked down using that big honkin' Master lock.

Seems like a pretty good setup, and wouldn't take up any more room than the Genset alone.

I think JDF has one of these holding down his Honda, but it's on a rack on the back bumper of his 220RK.

http://lowprolockdown.com/shop/compl...00is-redblack/
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate having to pull my Honda Gens out of the truck bed even if they are light. I’m getting too old-LOL! If I were to use the system, and it looks like a good one I would opt for using it on the front of my truck using a rack mounted front hitch, providing you don’t already have a bike rack or something else already up there. Also, providing you don’t need portability which I don’t need because I would be using the system in an RV application not at a job site application. Then, my generators are out in the open air when operational and I don’t have to dismount them. Of course, each person’s use and situation is individual so there are a lot of variables to the equation. It may be useful to others that may not know that running generators inside the truck bed isn’t optimal for them due to improper air circulation. Again, if you’re dismounting them and using them outside, no problem. I also have anti-theft protection on the handles of my Honda generator so they can’t easily be cut although the lockdown system would pretty much take care of that possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The way the Bakflip bed cover works I can open it 1/4 for air circulation so no issues there.
    It will have also have remote start, and being 6'5'' I can easily reach it to refuel, so no need to ever pull it out.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bump

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, for others...Even if the bed of the pick-up is fully open as long as the generator is down inside it can still affect their circulation. It is generally better not to run them in the bed of the pick up truck at all. I realize many of done it but the manufacturers don’t recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option for security and running the gen set even in less than ideal weather is a gen set box from KSH Marine. Basically a aluminum tool box made to the specifics of your gen set. Open the top lid, remove some panels in the side that are placed right for your particular gen set and, close and lock the lid and run the gen set right inside the box. Even a quiet inverter generator sounds even quieter in this box. When gen set not in use, panels in place and it is nice and secure and just looks like a tool box. No one can tell you even have a gen set. Locked and secure. Mount the box where it works best for you. KSH will work with you to design a box that meets your particular needs. And they are plenty durable.

I even have one on supports riding on the frame of my semi truck tractor. Been there for over 700,000 miles and still in great shape. Have run the gen set in the box all 4 seasons without a problem. Great for those inverter type generators that are enclosed with specific vents in the housing. Panels in the box are cut to match those so air flow and exhaust is unimpeded.

https://kshmarine.com/custom-generator-boxes/

https://kshmarine.com/photo-generator-boxes/
    Last edited by Copperhead; 01-05-2018 at 05:31 AM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by insidescoop View Post
    Again, for others...Even if the bed of the pick-up is fully open as long as the generator is down inside it can still affect their circulation. It is generally better not to run them in the bed of the pick up truck at all. I realize many of done it but the manufacturers don’t recommend it.
    One time, I was running my Honda 3000 in the bed of the truck on a hot day. It kept sputtering and stalling. I lifted it up and placed wooden blocks under it so the intake and exhaust were above the bed. It made a world of difference.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    Another option for security and running the gen set even in less than ideal weather is a gen set box from KSH Marine. Basically a aluminum tool box made to the specifics of your gen set. Open the top lid, remove some panels in the side that are placed right for your particular gen set and, close and lock the lid and run the gen set right inside the box. Even a quiet inverter generator sounds even quieter in this box. When gen set not in use, panels in place and it is nice and secure and just looks like a tool box. No one can tell you even have a gen set. Locked and secure. Mount the box where it works best for you. KSH will work with you to design a box that meets your particular needs. And they are plenty durable.

I even have one on supports riding on the frame of my semi truck tractor. Been there for over 700,000 miles and still in great shape. Have run the gen set in the box all 4 seasons without a problem. Great for those inverter type generators that are enclosed with specific vents in the housing. Panels in the box are cut to match those so air flow and exhaust is unimpeded.

https://kshmarine.com/custom-generator-boxes/

https://kshmarine.com/photo-generator-boxes/
    Thanks, I'll check those out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike locks r cheap. I have 2 that I use to lock my 2 gennys and extended run fuel tank to my landing leg on trailer. They would also work in the truck and u could move your genny around
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    Bike locks r cheap. I have 2 that I use to lock my 2 gennys and extended run fuel tank to my landing leg on trailer. They would also work in the truck and u could move your genny around
    Thanks, but it takes about 2 seconds to cut those with a pair of bolt cutters, doesn't slow a thief down at all.
    I'll use that solution for something cheap like chocks but not with a $2000 generator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast