User Tag List

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exterior Fiberglass Concern

While walking by my trailer today, I noticed a large crease that runs vertically up the side. You can see it in the attached picture. It is very noticeable from the left side of the storage door and proceeding up past the right side of the window. I have never noticed it before. But the light was just right for my eye and the camera to be able to see it today. I'm not knowledgeable about fiberglass and don't know if this is normal. Do any of you know if this is okay, or something I should have dealt with? I sure hope it's not a sign of delamination.

Thanks,

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

This is not likely delamination, but is part of the GDRV manufacturing process. We have similar lines to varying degrees and they are visible when the light catches the side just right. We became really "tuned in" to this situation prior to having a sidewall replaced due to a much more noticeable outward bulge. At the time, Jerry gave me a detailed tour of their lamination plant to show me how/why this happens as part of their production process. What you are likely seeing is the joint between two luan pieces which are directly under the very thin fibreglass outer skin. I would suggest that you watch this area for a while and if nothing changes (which is what I would expect) this is not something to worry about.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. It's been bugging me all afternoon. The trailer is in pretty good shape right now, and I don't need another major repair.

Jim

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has a similar look. When you catch it in the light, there is an almost sillouette to it that looks like the frame work.....no bulges.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is exactly the same Jim, primarily on the street side. I can see a couple of these lines. Since I didn’t see any bulges, I assumed it was normal. I do keep an eye on them also.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    While walking by my trailer today, I noticed a large crease that runs vertically up the side. You can see it in the attached picture. It is very noticeable from the left side of the storage door and proceeding up past the right side of the window. I have never noticed it before. But the light was just right for my eye and the camera to be able to see it today. I'm not knowledgeable about fiberglass and don't know if this is normal. Do any of you know if this is okay, or something I should have dealt with? I sure hope it's not a sign of delamination.

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim,
    Its hard to tell but from your first video, but it looks like the side skin is moving along with the window and up to this area. I had a delam repaired on my Imagine above the slide which was the result of butted luan under the skin. GD took care of it....hope to not see this again.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4