User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart Weigh - Getting the numbers on my 395M and F350 Dually

For any of you out there that are concerned about the loads on your Toy Hauler and Tow vehicle, I just want you to know and consider having them weighed! I used Smart Weigh available through www.escapees.com/smartweigh They will provide an accurate measurement on the axles, tires and any adjustments that will make your travels safer. It also gives you an understanding on adjustments that might need to be made to tow vehciles, tire pressures and/or Tire Load ratings. Please, consider this a wise thing to do for both your safety and comfort going down the road.
    I am providing some numbers on MY TRAILER AND MY TOW VEHICLE, as reference only! YOUR NUMBERS MAY AND MOST LIKELY WILL BE DIFFERENT!

2017 Ford F350 Dually, 4.10 axle
    Front axle without trailer - 5200 lbs
    Front axle with trailer - 5275 lbs
    Rear axle without trailer - 3975 lbs
    Rear axle with trailer - 7825 lbs

2017 Momentum 395 (As we travel without a TOY)
    Front axle - 4725 lbs
    Center axle - 4800 lbs
    Rear axle - 4300 lbs

Tow vehicle tires Mechelin LTX AT LT245/75 R17 Load Rating E - Adjusted Front Tire pressure to 5,510 lbs @ 65 PSI, Adjusted Rear Tire pressure to 8,160 lbs (Dually) at 50 PSI

Trailer Tires Goodyear G614 RST LT235/85 R16 Load Rating G - Adjusted ALL tires (2905 lbs each tire) to 75 PSI, with calculating additional load for 2,000 lb TOY.

These calculations are for your reference only, if you see something that concerns you or questions you might have please let me know. I had been running MAX tire pressures for max. load and have since lowered the tire pressures to Tire manufacturers recommendation based on loading. Hopefully, this will provide a smoother ride in the Tow Vehicle and trailer.

I hope this gets you thinking to have YOUR TRAILER AND TOW VEHICLE WEIGHED!

Also, I modified my 395M with the addition of DISC BRAKES!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practicing my math. Let me know if I get it wrong.

Pin weight 3850, 21% of total RV weight.
    13825 on the axles. Assuming 3 7k axles well within specs.
    17675 total RV weight.

My 376 fully loaded is about 1500lbs heavier. I need to take the time to get individual wheels weighed. Maybe next time I roll through Texas.....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You missed the 75 pounds added to the front axle. This came from the hitched trailer. That would bring trailer axle weight down to 13750.

Or at least that is the way I figure it.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info to know about about your rig. You said the weights were "as you traveled". Can you provide some more info? Did you have 157 gallons (1,310 pounds) of fresh water on-board? Waste tanks empty? Was LP full? Do you have dual pane windows? Full timers? I am just really curious as we await our new trailer. I still don't understand why they can't make the GVW 21K!

Also, about the lowering of the tire pressures. I understanding trying to match the load to the PSI, but for the front axle I would worry about weight transfer during braking and turning. The last thing anyone would want is a sidewall that is unresponsive or difficult to manage in those scenarios. Probably why the vehicles manufacture has a fixed recommended PSI for towing.
    2018 Momentum 397TH Currently Being Manufactured
    2004 Weekend Warrior LE3505 (Full-timing), Not bad after the remodel :confused:
    2014 Ram 3500, Laramie Longhorn, DRW, Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 14,000 GVW, 37,500 GCW, Titan 55 Gal., Curt Q25
    2000 Jeep Wrangler with stuff
    2016 KTM 350EXC-F (His)
    2015 KTM 350EXC-F (Hers)
    Two pups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the weights are pretty much as I normally travel, that would mean 30% Fresh Water in tank (maybe 400 lbs.), Waste tank empty, LP pretty much 2/3 rds full, no I do not have dual pane windows. We are NOT full timers, but carry a lot of "stuff". I feel pretty good about lowering the tire pressure going to the next highest pressure on the Tire Manufacturers CHART, I do not know that they considered hard braking or hard turns? I will see after a few thousand miles what experiences I have with the lower PSI on both Truck and Tow Vehicle. As far as the vehicle manufacture recommending PSI for towing? They seem to give a MAX. fit all situation, I would like to feel if the recommended tire pressure "FEELS" right by the seat of my pants.
    Thanks for your comments.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our 380TH weighed using SmartWeigh back in '14 when we first started full-timing. Besides knowing weights by axle, since they weigh by wheel it also pointed pointed out the 800lb difference between the driver's side and curb side of the rig. Explained why my tires on the left were always running warmer and with higher pressure on the road.

We also reduced pressure in the F350 wheels based on their findings which helps the ride a little. However, I still run the rig tires at max pressure even though I could have backed off a little.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am already noticing a difference in the feel of the Tow Vehicle down the road with NO trailer attached. I went from 75 psi per tire on front axle (F350) to 65 psi and on the rear axle (dually) I dropped from 70 psi per tire down to 50 psi per tire. This has smoothed out the ride nicely and since I drive a lot of the time without the trailer it makes for more pleasurable driving.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why less pressure in the front than the rear on the TV tires when towing? Because its 4 vs 2 wheels? Because of the weight of the engine?

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Michelin Tire Chart and it showed me the pressure per tire for the load that will be on tire and it breaks it down to a single or dual axle. That is why I have lower pressures on the rear tires (dually).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I had our rig weighed by them at the Rally this summer and don't trust a single number to be most honest. Not implying that your numbers aren't perfect but the "idiots" that weighed ours were throwing the scales around like toys and they didn't write as they went but "memorized" the numbers until they got to the clipboard and wrote them down. I thought in my case, it was a terrible waste of money.

Now, back to your numbers, the one I was looking for was the payload number from your yellow door tag (or GVWR minus curb weight). GVWR of course will be listed in your truck and the "curb weight" is the truck weighed without any items considered as "payload", like passengers, hitch, pets, firewood, etc.

In your numbers it's easy to pick out your pin weight but that's not your payload as I suspect your unhooked truck weights included whatever cargo you had in the truck?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS