User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff kezis View Post
    We have the 303 RLS. The sofa / bed is comfortable when it is a couch, but when a bed, my daughter 28 and two small grand children 5 and 3 slept on it during a trip and found the bed to be super uncomfortable. the bed when open is very un even and the tow sections that are folded up when it is a couch need to have some firmness added to them. Not sure what can be done, but hope fully it is something. I am going to try a piece of foam, but just waiting on when i do it.
    Hi Jeff,

See post #16 on this discussion and follow the link listed there, to the thread on how to make the bed comfortable . . . without affecting the couch configuration.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to all, i believe i have resolved the bed issue. I took it apart and the uneven issue i believe is or wasn't the real issue. On our recent trip to the big Q, (quartzsite) my niece and sister-in-law slept on it. When my niece got in bed, of course knee first she felt and heard a POP. So now that i made some time i fixed it. Unfold the bed, unzip and remove foam. remove little plastic straps, (cheap little straps used to hold cardboard cartons closed) that are there as webbing to support the foam mattress. Purchase a sheet of quarter inch plywood and cut to size. screw it on the frame, re install the foam, and you are good to go. I did this on both sections that make the bed. Less than $25 dollars and about an hour. Now just to have my daughter come over and see if it is better than the last time she stayed with us. no sagging and solid firm now. also the bed is flat all the way across. I may still re position legs to lower the front portion about an inch. I have attached pictures, hope they come through. I just wish GD would have done a better type of webbing or something or more slid from the start. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofabed 001.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	3632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofabed 002.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	3633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofabed 003.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	3634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofabed 004.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	3635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofabed 005.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	3636

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I know what straps you guys are referring to. Haven't had these break in ours, and we have teenage boys sleeping on ours!
    We did have the single metal rod, under the center of the seat section, break the weld. We could always also feel the legs folded up when sitting on cushion. So I did a similar thing. Cut a 1/4" piece of plywood to fit between the unfolded legs on bottom of couch seat. Put extra foam layer above plywood and screwed to frame. Legs still fold up fine, and when you sit you don't feel the folded up leg frames anymore.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	3652Click image for larger version. 

Views:	152 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	3653
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott and Jan View Post
    Now I know what straps you guys are referring to. Haven't had these break in ours, and we have teenage boys sleeping on ours!
    We did have the single metal rod, under the center of the seat section, break the weld. We could always also feel the legs folded up when sitting on cushion. So I did a similar thing. Cut a 1/4" piece of plywood to fit between the unfolded legs on bottom of couch seat. Put extra foam layer above plywood and screwed to frame. Legs still fold up fine, and when you sit you don't feel the folded up leg frames anymore.

Views:	157 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	3652Click image for larger version. 

Views:	152 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	3653
    the goofy straps are inside of the two sections that are hidden when it is a couch. at least they were in mine. about 8 in each section but you have to take it apart to get to them.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job, JFF&KRN ! As the couches are a Lippert Product, it is not surprising that one should have to make it right to make it work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, now just to see how the kids will sleep on it! may still need to add an inexpensive foam topper so the cracks between the sections are not felt! I will post an update once the true test is done. We leave tomorrow and will be gone for about 11 days, kids with us about 5 of them. Good Luck & Be Safe! ! !

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2016 303 and our sleeper sofa is bad also.
    First the foot of the bed is higher than the head, which I could switch where I put my head.
    Second, where it folds in half it humps in the middle so it is not flat, which is a back breaker. Cant find a solution for that
    Third it is HARD. We have put a foam topper on it which helps a little BUT the hump in the middle makes it unbearable.
    Tim & Shelly- ND
    2016 Reflection 303
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 4x4 Crewcab

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ND campers View Post
    We have a 2016 303 and our sleeper sofa is bad also.
    First the foot of the bed is higher than the head, which I could switch where I put my head.
    Second, where it folds in half it humps in the middle so it is not flat, which is a back breaker. Cant find a solution for that
    Third it is HARD. We have put a foam topper on it which helps a little BUT the hump in the middle makes it unbearable.
    ND campers . . . If you go back through the earlier posts on this thread and follow the links to related threads, all the fixes are explained. It is a little disappointing that Grand Design is still building this way, many months later.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ND, i need to add that one thing i didn't add in the original fix. if you open the bed, you will find the feet or legs under the head part and they are removable. i took mine off and they have holes pre-drilled in the inside part so just remove bolts, move or adjust the leg, re-bolt and done. that is for the head part being uneven with the rest of the bed. If the inside piece isn't adjustable, then re-drill holes of your own and make it work. As far as the comfort goes, my kids will be here tonight so i will know by tomorrow morning if the fix was good. If not that means the guest won't stay long! ! ! ! ! Yeh right, they save a bunch of money on motels by staying with us!!! I will let you all know how the sleep was following a full report from the kids. Jeff

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another solution that we've switched to is putting an inflatable air mattress on top of the sofa bed. It makes it MUCH more comfortable. I prefer this one:

http://www.amazon.com/product-review...0&pageNumber=1

Jim

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast