User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about the Turning Point hitch

We are considering upgrading to a Reflection 150 and I have been looking for information on the turning point hitch. I have towed lots of bumper pulls but only a couple goosenecks and no 5th wheels. Some websites say there are stability issues due to the rotation point being pushed back. Has anyone felt that? We have some time before our upgrade and we are getting a new truck after my next deployment and the trailer sometime in the next 12 months after that.

Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not noticed any stability issues with ours, this thing tows exponentially better than any bumper pull I have towed, and I have been towing for 50 years.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been on the forum since before the Turning Point started being used on the 150 Series and have not read anything about stability issues with it. The same question was asked in another thread a few days ago and the responses from those who have the Turning Point were all positive and all said there were no stability issues. Because of the geometry of the hitch, there shouldn't be and I don't know where this line of thought came from on "other web sites."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No stability issues at all with the Turning Point with either the F-150 or the F-350. Towing with the F-150 had other issues, but not with the Turning Point. I am very happy with it.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davehtutk View Post
    We are considering upgrading to a Reflection 150 and I have been looking for information on the turning point hitch. I have towed lots of bumper pulls but only a couple goosenecks and no 5th wheels. Some websites say there are stability issues due to the rotation point being pushed back. Has anyone felt that? We have some time before our upgrade and we are getting a new truck after my next deployment and the trailer sometime in the next 12 months after that.

Thanks
    I have never heard of stability issues with the Turning Point system. With that said, I've been pulling a 150 Series trailer with a short bed truck for 3 years (NOT using the Turning Point feature) and have never come close to an issue of hitting the cab. I also have a slider hitch that has been in my truck for 12 years and have never had the need to engage the slider feature.

The design of the front cap of these newer trailers allow very good and safe turning. I realize everyone has different issues, with some needing to make tight turns so YMMV.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a Reese Revolution on my old fifth, which was the original version, before Lippert made their own copy cat one. It was absolutely great.

The only criticisms I had, which I assume also pertain to the turning point:
    1. You need to back in dead on straight to pin box, not the trailer. Watch it if you angle back with the tailgate down, or one corner can contact the fifth before hitching. I learned how to repair fiberglass from that.
    2. It likely has a lockout option, to allow it to be moved in the lot without rotating. My dealer forgot about that, and left it locked, when I picked it up. Had to replace the entire pin box, the hitch itself, and have the truck frame inspected after the trip from the dealer to home. Luckily they admitted fault, and covered the entire fix.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, no performance problems other than whats been already stated in this thread above.

However, there are some concerns I have with this pinbox (which I have on my 295RL and use unlocked).

1st - unlike the Reese Sidewinder, no zerk fitting to grease the spindle on the turret, requiring a complete removal and disassembly of the unit each year according to Lippert. And, (from my experience) have found that several GD dealership maint shops NEITHER knows it requires such maintenance, or, performs it. Have found dealers of RVs with the Sidewinder do service theirs however.... including removal and greasing like the LCI TP pinbox.

2nd - on earlier versions (my 2019 included), Lippert no longer carries certain parts for my TP pinbox, such as the lube plate. However, when contacted said they would deal with any "issues" of such pinboxes (with discontinued parts) on a case by case basis. Not sure exactly what this could or couldn't mean - will see.

3rd - it is a proprietary pinbox and mount, and does not have a current replacent offered outside of LCI.

As much as I like my RV (with this pinbox) and its performance, I may have had second thoughts in my original purchase knowing what I know now.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 11-07-2022 at 08:14 AM. Reason: clarity...
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a F250 diesel pulling my 2020 295RL. My hitch is the Pullrite Super 5th 1600K useing the turning point feature due to the shortbed. I like the Pullrite jaw arm "system" as you can easliy see to confirm if the jaw has surounded the pin. This summer I completed a return trip to the east coast without any towing issues at all.
    2020 Reflection 295RL
    2019 F250 6.7 diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Well, no performance problems other than whats been already stated in this thread above.

However, there are some concerns I have with this pinbox (which I have on my 295RL and use unlocked).

1st - unlike the Reese Sidewinder, no zerk fitting to grease the spindle on the turret, requiring a complete removal and disassembly of the unit each year according to Lippert. And, (from my experience) have found that several GD dealership maint shops NEITHER knows it requires such maintenance, or, performs it. Have found dealers of RVs with the Sidewinder do service theirs however.... including removal and greasing like the LCI TP pinbox.

2nd - on earlier versions (my 2019 included), Lippert no longer carries certain parts for my TP pinbox, such as the lube plate. However, when contacted said they would deal with any "issues" of such pinboxes (with discontinued parts) on a case by case basis. Not sure exactly what this could or couldn't mean - will see.

3rd - it is a proprietary pinbox and mount, and does not have a current replacent offered outside of LCI.

As much as I like my RV (with this pinbox) and its performance, I may have had second thoughts in my original purchase knowing what I know now.
    Good info. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast