User Tag List

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Reflection 297RSTS - Main Panel Wiring Details

I'm currently adding some additional USB ports in my 2017 297RSTS and pulled the main panel out to see if I could tap into one of the existing wires. I elected to make my connections elsewhere, but though I'd share my findings on the main panel with other owners so you have them for reference.

The first picture below shows an overview of the wiring. You'll see that they have six wires tied together in one very large wire nut. If you ever have an open circuit, this might be a place to look. You'll also see a mix of connectors used on the switch contacts. The blue ones are fully insulated and are a good selection in tight quarters. The yellow contacts are only partially insulated and you can see that there is quite a bit of stranded wire showing under the insulated portion. If any of these strands touch another, it provides a potential short circuit path. Once again - This would be a good place to look if you ever suspect a short circuit.

In the second picture, you will notice three areas that I circled in red. Each of these indicate a lack of attention to detail when installing the connectors. Two of them show wire strands that did not make it into the connector. This reduces the current capacity between the wire and connector. The third circle shows excess wire that has is "bird nested" at the bottom side of the connector. It the adjoining connector had the same condition, it would short circuit. None of these will likely cause a problem, but in my manufacturing experience, these would have failed inspection and would have been reworked.

The final picture points out a 7.5 Amp fuse that is located behind the panel. This is a fuse that is connected in the awning circuit. I had no idea there was a fuse behind the panel, and it would have been tough to find if the awning malfunctioned. This is one to put in your memory bank in case of an awning failure in the future.

None of these are major issues and I'm just pointing them out in case any of you want areas to look at if you have a problem in the future.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done a significant amount of re-wire in this area on my 297RSTS. I believe the 7.5 amp fuse is for the water heater controls, not the awning. I cut that fuse out and extended the wire to the fuse panel at the bottom of the hutch and moved the fuse there. There is also a hidden 10 A fuse at the water pump. I have rewired my water pump system significantly and relocated that fuse to the fuse panel also. Regarding the white wires all connected to the wire nut, I pulled that connection apart and installed a terminal ground strip behind the control panel and moved all of the control panel ground wires to that location. I also have a habit of reworking poor crimps and connections to meet "my quality standards". If anyone want's to see more of my wiring changes, go to my website at http://www.klenger.net/297rsts.html and select the Custom Wiring button and browse the drawing. The drawing is a work in progress and I will update it as I progress. Keep in mind that some of the wiring on the drawing document my trailer AFTER I have modified it, and the standard and modified parts of the drawing my not be obvious.

Thanks for posting this and for all of your work on this forum.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - You're not seriously suggesting that GD actually inspects anything, are you?
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Klenger - You are spot on with your analysis of the fuse. It shares a common +12V connection with the awning switch, but the fuse is actually routed over to the water heater controls.

Here is a photo of that 10amp fuse that is in the basement for the water pump.

BTW - Those wiring diagrams on your website are amazing!

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Jim - You're not seriously suggesting that GD actually inspects anything, are you?
    I think they do a pretty good job of inspecting cosmetic things....

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - do you share these types of things (and will you share your finding on this item) with your GDRV contacts or just let it go ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dan - Normally when I find something, I drop a line to the factory guys so they can get a look at it. Jerry McCarthy gave me a hard time one day at the rally because he said I was costing him money to fix some stuff... Of course he was kidding, and was very thankful for some of the suggestions I've made that they've incorporated.

Jim

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    I have done a significant amount of re-wire in this area on my 297RSTS. I believe the 7.5 amp fuse is for the water heater controls, not the awning. I cut that fuse out and extended the wire to the fuse panel at the bottom of the hutch and moved the fuse there. There is also a hidden 10 A fuse at the water pump. I have rewired my water pump system significantly and relocated that fuse to the fuse panel also. Regarding the white wires all connected to the wire nut, I pulled that connection apart and installed a terminal ground strip behind the control panel and moved all of the control panel ground wires to that location. I also have a habit of reworking poor crimps and connections to meet "my quality standards". If anyone want's to see more of my wiring changes, go to my website at http://www.klenger.net/297rsts.html and select the Custom Wiring button and browse the drawing. The drawing is a work in progress and I will update it as I progress. Keep in mind that some of the wiring on the drawing document my trailer AFTER I have modified it, and the standard and modified parts of the drawing my not be obvious.

Thanks for posting this and for all of your work on this forum.
    Those are very impressive wiring diagrams. When are you available to do mine ? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jim.....I suspected you did so. Communicating with a few GDRV folks (not as well or as many GDRV folks as you and several others on the forum do) over the years they truly seem to value and do want this feedback to learn/investigate/improve/etc. the team, process, and the product. All this is consistent with Chris Tretta's key objective of this forum to learn and share to improve the RV industry, product, and experience.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I know this thread is old, but I’m having some problems in the control panel you have written about, and was wondering if you may be able to help. I have a thread for this issue. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-control-board