User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BCCAMPERS

Hello from British Columbia

Hi everyone, my wife Sherry and I have rving for about 10 years now in a couple different travel trailers, she can retire anywhere from 1 month to 2 years so we have begun to look for our retirement trailer. We went to the last couple of rv shows and keep going back to look at the Reflextion 303. We really feel they have done alot of things right. We live in British Columbia and they have a weight restriction for trailers over 10150 lbs so I was wondering if anybody has weighed there 303 loaded for a trip . We tow with a 2011 Dodge Cummins 3500.
    Pete, Sherry , Holly the Golden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hello from British Columbia

Welcome, and the Grand Design family of trailers is a good choice, I have a Momentum so I will be of no help in the weight category, but the truck will handle it no problem, that's for sure. Good luck, and happy camping!
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum Pete and Sherry! Hope you can find what you're looking for in the Grand Design Family, you want be sorry.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

I know that trailer weight in BC has been discussed on other forums that I visit. Isn't it more to do with the license you most obtain if towing greater than 4600 kg?

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forums, Pete & Sherry!
    Good luck as your search for your new RV. Grand Design is a great option.. I'm so glad we discovered their line of RV's before we purchased.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

BCCAMPERS

Thks for the replies , yes you are correct in the weight in BC is 4600 kg after which you need an endorsement on your licence. The trouble is the dry weight of the Reflextion 303 is around 9200 lbs so we could as far as our provincial insurance company is concerned you could go over as the gross is I believe around 12000 lb. I was hoping that somebody has actually weighed theirs as I know the weights on the brochures can be different.I know we would be cutting it close.
    Pete

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall that's there some confusion whether the 4600 kg limit applies to the camper's axle or total weight. If it applied to the axle weight, you'd be OK even if it was loaded close to it's GVWR.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, here's the licensing requirement for Ontario...

Licence Change for Operators of Recreational Vehicles

Effective July 1, 2011, you may now tow a Recreational Vehicle (RV) weighing more than 4,600 kg with a Class “G” driver’s licence if:
    •The towing vehicle is a pick-up truck equipped with the manufacturer’s original box, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) not exceeding 6,000 kg and equipped with no more than two axles and not being used for commercial purposes;
    •Combined weight of pick-up truck and RV does not exceed 11,000 kg total gross weight;
    •RV hitched to pick-up truck by means of a fifth wheel hitch assembly;
    •Only one towed vehicle in combination;
    •Pick-up truck and RV not equipped with air-brakes;
    •RV (towed RV) Transport Canada compliant and manufactured to CSA Z-240 or Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (of America) standards;
    •Floor space of RV is primarily living accommodations;
    •Operated by holder of full class G driver licence – holders of a graduated licence in the class G1 or G2 not eligible;
    •Compliant with all other Highway Traffic Act weights and dimensions requirements; and,
    •No other type of towed vehicle is eligible for this proposal.

Effective July 1, 2011, Ontario now allows operators of recreational vehicles (RV) to tow RV’s on a full Class G driver’s licence if the trailer weight exceeds 4,600 kg. Previously, operators of towed RVs required a Class A licence to operate their vehicles and trailers when the trailer weight exceeded 4,600 kg. This change will promote tourism and the overall RV experience in Ontario, as well as providing new opportunities for manufacturers.

Although the previous requirement was a Class A license for towing over 4600 kg, it wasn't rigorously enforced.

Dave

BCCAMPERS

I know they changed the law in Ontario but still no luck here. I have heard that they are trying to change to something similar here, but the process is so long that everytime there is a change in government they have to start over. The combined vehicle weight makes sense to me as it would on level with the weight of a class A motor home which requires no license other than air brakes if aquipted .Our law states the weight must be under 4600 kg as loaded on the road , so that is axles and tongue weight combined. So that is the problem so if you are really close they could decide either way and your insurance is void. The trailer we have now weighs about 9500 lbs loaded on a trip with a gvw of 9900 lbs so I dont worry about it.
    Pete

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pete, also a new member from BC. We have a 303LS on order and tow with the same truck. I looked at the sheet on a new unit and it gave a weight of over 9300 lbs delivered with full propane so you can go from there. I think most of the additional weight over brochure would likely be thermopane windows, as they don't order anything else in this part of the world.

As far as the license goes, I am in the same boat as you. Our present unit grosses out at 9554 KG so I didn't need the endorsement. I have a road test scheduled for early June but don't know if I will have the new unit yet. Technically the trailer used for the test is supposed to have a GVWR of over 4600 KG, so I am going to ask if I can do it with my old unit if the new one hasn't arrived. If you are thinking of getting the endorsement you should get started because it takes a long time to get a road test appointment. You can always do the written. It is good for a year.

Cheers, Nick
    Last edited by notsosan; 03-18-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast