Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To cover or not to cover?

After researching this topic and finding that it hasn't garnered much response, I thought I'd try and throw it out there again.

We're picking up our 2400BH next week and I've been reading up on potential waxes/protectants to include some using boat & aircraft grade waxes/protectants. For the time being, we're living in Florida (moving this summer to who knows where <we're a military family>) so I want to make sure our rig is protected. Although waxing sounds like the way to go, finding time with work and a family may be difficult!

Speaking with our salesman, he recommended a cover. However, I've read varying opinions/concerns to include damage to gutters and water retention/mold in this humid environment. For our move this summer, we'll likely be in Denver for a short bit followed by either DC or NC. Covered parking is out of the question (based on the expense) so I'm exploring the option of waxing/protecting a few times a year vs. purchasing a cover.

Does anyone have any experience with covers on the 2400/2800s? I've heard of using pool noodles on the edges?
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max SR5 4x2 5.7L
    Reese Straight Line WD
    Tampa Bay, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how dealers vary so drastically sometimes, mine told me do not cover ever. If you’re going to leave it outside exposed to the elements just keep up the roof and wall maintenance and you shouldn’t have a worry.
    Chris and Melissa Sullivan
    Potter County PA
    15’ GMC Duramax
    14’ Heartland Sundance XLT

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pool noodles and or sliced tennis balls is generally for sharp edges and mainly downspouts. They are very easy to tear off though! Many good previous threads on wax products here as well as covers. I used to have a cover, gave up as too difficult and it was on and off too many times. Plus, the wind really tore it up. Good quality wax and regular wash is always good. check for wax that is ok to use on decals also. I am using Nu-Finish and Protectant 303. There is no right answer.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried a cover in the past and threw it in the dumpster within six months. It had a little bit of wind damage, but the primary reason I didn't like it was safety. Standing 12-13 feet above the ground and trying to maneuver an unwieldy cover was tough and in my opinion dangerous. Not only that, but if we just wanted to do a quick weekend run, we had to add time to uncover and then recover the rig. It was a P.I.T.A., and I'd rather deal with the elements in other ways. I wax my trailer every 3-4 months with Thetford Premium RV Wax. It is a carnauba wax that is safe for decals and provides UV protection. It's a lot of work to wax the rig, but my decals were still looking pristine when other owners were starting to show cracks and fading.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    Pool noodles and or sliced tennis balls is generally for sharp edges and mainly downspouts. They are very easy to tear off though! Many good previous threads on wax products here as well as covers. I used to have a cover, gave up as too difficult and it was on and off too many times. Plus, the wind really tore it up. Good quality wax and regular wash is always good. check for wax that is ok to use on decals also. I am using Nu-Finish and Protectant 303. There is no right answer.
    Yep, I'm a fan of Nu-Finish and I saw a thread on here talking about the decals. Wash and Wax All is another that caught my eye because of ease of application.
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    Reese Straight Line WD
    Tampa Bay, Florida

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During our camping season we are out every weekend from May until mid-October. We never cover the coach during the season just proper care to the roof and walls. I have covered my campers for the past 6 years for winter storage and have yet to replace a cover. Tennis balls on the gutters and other sharp corners, pipe insulation on the ladder and pool noodles on those other corners not served by tennis balls and pipe insulation. Our storage lot backs up to a municipal airport so plenty of wind. I do some very minor abrasion repairs in the spring when removing the cover but no holes. I do check the cover every two weeks from mid-October to mid-December to tighten the straps.

I agree putting the cover on the coach is a 3 person job, 1 up and 2 down. Regardless of what day I select to install the cover, the wind is always blowing and its like putting up a sail. When we start to snowbird winters in a few years, no cover whatsoever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0429.jpg  
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to always cover our trailer in Nov. for winter storage. 4 years ago we took a mid Feb. trip to the gulf coast for 3 weeks and have done so every year since. That first trip 4 years ago I didn't thing anything about covering the trailer in Nov. and boy what a mistake. I realize about 2 weeks before we were going to leave for our trip that I had about 4 inches of ice covered by about 12 inches of snow on the cover. Let's just say that my neighbors probably thought I was nuts when they saw me out there the weekend before we left (temp was 38 that Saturday)with a hose running warm water and a wooden broom handle on the roof of our trailer trying to gently remove the layer of ice without damaging anything so I could get that cover off. I was successful but talk about dangerous. Haven't covered since just waxing and keeping roof clean. Do cover tires though when not using.
    2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Southfork Edition 6.7 Cummins Crew Cab 4x4, Blue Ox WDH.
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous: 2012 Keystone Passport 245rb

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagination View Post
    I used to always cover our trailer in Nov. for winter storage. 4 years ago we took a mid Feb. trip to the gulf coast for 3 weeks and have done so every year since. That first trip 4 years ago I didn't thing anything about covering the trailer in Nov. and boy what a mistake. I realize about 2 weeks before we were going to leave for our trip that I had about 4 inches of ice covered by about 12 inches of snow on the cover. Let's just say that my neighbors probably thought I was nuts when they saw me out there the weekend before we left (temp was 38 that Saturday)with a hose running warm water and a wooden broom handle on the roof of our trailer trying to gently remove the layer of ice without damaging anything so I could get that cover off. I was successful but talk about dangerous. Haven't covered since just waxing and keeping roof clean. Do cover tires though when not using.
    Good point with the snow/ice. There's a high possibility our next move will take us to CO for a short bit then to the NE. Roger on the tire covers, they'll be on order soon. My wonderful wife brought up a good point on the waxing side of things..."just how do you plan on waxing a trailer with two small children, your busy work schedule and our already busy home schedule?" In lieu of a cover and based on what others have said in other threads, I may try the Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All.
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    Reese Straight Line WD
    Tampa Bay, Florida