Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surge protector vs. EMS + Surge Protector (new to RV'ing)

Based on what I'm reading and being new to the TT world (and friends highly recommending we do so), I'm looking at buying either a portable surge protector or EMS + surge protector system. It seems many on this forum like the Progressive products; So to narrow my research, I'm looking at the EMS-PT30X or the 30XL. Budget aside, I understand that surge protection is a necessity but is over/under voltage a probable problem we'd run into during our camping excursions? I don't mind spending the extra $150ish if there's a significant benefit to the added protection but want to make sure I'm not just spending the extra $$ for not a lot of benefit. I've read on other forums that it's "cheap insurance" and some said they've had their systems shut off once in a great while due to improper voltage so I'm probably answering my own question! One thing I can't figure out on the PT30X is whether or not the system will "disconnect" if it senses an under/over voltage- if it just tells you upon plugging in or happens when you don't see the indicator...if someone has an alternative recommendation, I'm all ears.
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max SR5 4x2 5.7L
    Reese Straight Line WD
    Tampa Bay, Florida

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From the Progressive web site, tech data for that model: "Whenever A/C power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. " I camp from 40-70 days per year at a wide variety of places. In the last 5 years, I encountered one campground that was undervoltage. Every time my air conditioner came on, the EMS shut the power off - the draw caused a voltage sag at the pedestal. Power shut off, and the EMS displayed an error code. Mine resets itself after a few minutes, but if the voltage is still low, it will trip again. Unsure if your model is automatic like that, or if you have to unplug and plug it back in to reset. We had to make sure everything else in the RV was off, if we wanted to run the air. No other over/under/surge/wiring problems anywhere else so far. But my house took a lightning surge last year...and there were a large number of things I had to replace/repair. So I'll continue to use the EMS when camping....

BTW - I talked to my dealer about this afterward, and noted that the voltage was around 105 with just the air on. I was concerned about whether that was too low and could cause damage. He said that for a moderate time, we shouldn't worry. If we were in one spot, for weeks/months it would shorten the life of the air and maybe the other appliances, but for a few days, it was not an issue. I did note that it took a lot longer to make coffee and toast with the low voltage, however!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting that info, I obviously overlooked it. For anyone looking for a layman's explanation here's an article I found explaining it: http://noshockzone.org/rv-electrical...-surge-strips/. Here's a link comparing the the systems https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm. It sounds like it's just a matter of how much risk one wants to assume for saving $180.
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    Reese Straight Line WD
    Tampa Bay, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO you are much more prone to over/under voltage, open grounds and such than you are a surge. I think the full EMS system is the only way to go as it’s complete protection (not just surge) for not a great deal more money than a “quality” surge protector. I’ve had ours cut power a couple of times possibly saving us some unnecessary repairs or damage. Normal due to low voltage during the summer months. Plus it’s nice having the remote display which tells me exactly what’s going on and also how much reserve power is left. It’s truly a great feeling plugging in and being protected as the unit will not even let power into the rig unless it checks out good and will automatically disconnect durian a problem and automatically reconnect when cleared. I agree it’s cheap insurance also. And look on amazon as they normally have the best price on these units.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the EMS trip numerous times on under voltage. When brought to the attention of the campground, it turned out to be a faulty breaker or a loose wire on the breaker. It's definitely worth the money, electrical repairs won't be cheap compared to the EMS cost. If you look at it as a percentage of the price of the camper, it is a negligible, but necessary cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree on all. Thanks for your opinions and I plan on getting the portable EMS/SPP
    2018 Imagine 2400BH
    Reese Straight Line WD
    Tampa Bay, Florida

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danmiller35 View Post
    Agree on all. Thanks for your opinions and I plan on getting the portable EMS/SPP
    If you go with the portable EMS, try to figure out some way to secure it. Campground thefts do happen (which is why I advocate for the "hard-wired"/permanently installed versions.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true EMS system is paramount to your full protection. Progressive is probably the leader in a true EMS system however, Surge Guard now offers the same protection. Green 728 is point on....more likely will be over/under voltage, open ground, etc.

One thing that few people do not realize, that we learned in our RV Maint. Tech. course, is that whether it's Progressive or Surge Guard, they're only guaranteed for one time protection. Much like a breaker, they get weaker every time they're tripped and while some may withstand many trips, others may only endure a few trips. Just something to keep in mind.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you go with the portable EMS, try to figure out some way to secure it. Campground thefts do happen (which is why I advocate for the "hard-wired"/permanently installed versions.

Rob
    I second the HW version. If you are nervous about the install I can promise you that you shouldn't be. I did it about 2 weeks ago in my 2500RL and the videos on youtube as well as information in this forum made it a breeze. It is now one less thing to worry about setting up each time and taking down before we leave.

My only recommendation on the install is buy some 10 gauge wire (assuming you are 30amp) and pre-wire the EMS->breaker (in the comfort of your home) so all you have to do is 1) disconnect the current wiring from the breaker and put it in to the input side 2) put your pre-wired output end in to the breaker. This will leave you more room to work and minimize install time. I didn't do this and while the install wasn't tough, it was still a very tight space with little slack in the line. This recommendation was somewhere on here and I wish I would have followed it myself.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Surge Guard does make a lock box for their portable 30 amp and 50 amp EMS (see the lockbox in the attached photo). However, like anything, if they want it bad enough they're going to get it but not without making a lot of noise.

Having said this, I also have the hard wired with the digital read out inside my living room. The up side to the portable.....if you don't plan on keeping the RV long term then you can take the portable EMS with you when you sell your current RV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6304.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	10847
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast