User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Aid

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of how well the AEDs in various locations you might visit are kept up, for me it begs the question again, "Should l have an AED of my own?" A person who is at risk and may need an AED in an emergency needs to know it will be available immediately and is sure to work, so why not buy your own? Whatever your situation is, If you decide the answer to the question of keeping one in your own FAK is “yes” , you should realize that unlike bandaids, AEDs need to be maintained. You don't just buy one and stick it in your box or bag.

Just so we're all on the same page, an automated external defibrillator (AED) is a device used to provide lifesaving care in the case of sudden cardiac arrest. Properly maintaining an AED is essential to ensure that it can be relied upon in an emergency situation.

To ensure optimal performance, it's important to check your AED on a regular basis. Most manufacturers recommend monthly visual inspections, but you should always check the AED user manual for specific instructions. The most important part of an inspection is to check the indicator lights and buttons to make sure the batteries are fresh and the machine is functioning properly.

In addition to regular inspections, pads and batteries should be replaced every two years for optimal performance. Replacement pads and batteries can often be purchased directly from the manufacturer or through authorized dealers. When replacing pads and batteries, make sure to check your AED user manual for specific instructions on how to safely remove and replace them.
    For more information about taking care of your personal AED, you can use your owner's manual, or check online to find a general maintenance guide.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great discussion. A couple things I'd add for consideration..

If you're a boondocker, you should probably take a Backcountry First Aid course. Most of the curriculum is the same as the urban versions, but they add some data on patient stabilization & transport, summoning/coordinating with Search & Rescue properly, poisonous reptiles, insects, plants, animal attacks, hypothermia/heat stroke, and cover some remote survival techniques.

Second, I think boondockers should absolutely have a method for summoning Search & Rescue. My preference is a Garmin InReach Explorer+, but others probably work as well. Garmin's basic subscription is pretty inexpensive and can be suspended when you're not travelling. I have SOS tested mine a couple of times with Garmin emergency response and the speed and accuracy of their response process is very impressive.
    signature

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of how well the AEDs in various locations you might visit are kept up, for me it begs the question again, "Should l have an AED of my own?" A person who is at risk and may need an AED in an emergency needs to know it will be available immediately and is sure to work, so why not buy your own? Whatever your situation is, If you decide the answer to the question of keeping one in your own FAK is “yes” , you should realize that unlike bandaids, AEDs need to be maintained. You don't just buy one and stick it in your box or bag.

Just so we're all on the same page, an automated external defibrillator (AED) is a device used to provide lifesaving care in the case of sudden cardiac arrest. Properly maintaining an AED is essential to ensure that it can be relied upon in an emergency situation.

To ensure optimal performance, it's important to check your AED on a regular basis. Most manufacturers recommend monthly visual inspections, but you should always check the AED user manual for specific instructions. The most important part of an inspection is to check the indicator lights and buttons to make sure the batteries are fresh and the machine is functioning properly.

In addition to regular inspections, pads and batteries should be replaced every two years for optimal performance. Replacement pads and batteries can often be purchased directly from the manufacturer or through authorized dealers. When replacing pads and batteries, make sure to check your AED user manual for specific instructions on how to safely remove and replace them.
    For more information about taking care of your personal AED, you can use your owner's manual, or check online to find a general maintenance guide.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345