User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gray tank reads full, how much room left ?

I was curious as to how much room might be left in the grays, after reading full. Sometimes they read full close to the end of a stay, buy I get nervous and dump as soon as they read full. Then we have to go back and set up for a short time. Do people wait until there is an overflow, and if you do wait, can it damage the plumbing ?
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When water comes up in the shower floor, you know the gray water tank is full. Should not hurt anything that I know of. Since the last incident (state park in Maine year before last), I know carry a mid-size blue boy. Much easier to move then the camper. Also, much quicker to make the wife happy. JMHO
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally I've let the gray tank get too full. In our 337, at least, the way we know is that the kitchen sink or the shower will back up (not drain).

I've not noticed any adverse effects. Just hope it's not raining and go out and open the drain valve (assuming you have a sewer hookup).

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gordo - I've given up even looking at the tank level gauges. They are far more likely to be wrong than right. I keep the gray valves closed even on a FHU site and wait till the drain backs up in the kitchen or shower. Never had a problem, but I have taken a close look at the drain piping in this "full" condition to make sure there are no drip leaks. For us, the kitchen always fills first, so I have used the closed external gate and open both grays to equalize the grays to gain another day or two without FHU.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if anyone has every tried to make a warranty claim for tank sensors not working. Not specific to GD, but for any RV Maker as we all know the problem of tank sensors not working is a common problem across all makers. I wonder if the dealer would just say "the owner is not keeping the tanks clean properly, therefore there is nothing wrong with the sensors" You know how dealers will always try to deflect blame.

Anhyoo - just thinking out loud is all.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    I was curious as to how much room might be left in the grays, after reading full. Sometimes they read full close to the end of a stay, buy I get nervous and dump as soon as they read full. Then we have to go back and set up for a short time. Do people wait until there is an overflow, and if you do wait, can it damage the plumbing ?
    It sounds like you're not hooked up and have to take your trailer somewhere else to dump it? My black tank monitor has not worked since it was new but they say that you can tell when the black tank is full by when you flush it and it burps back (gurggles). I've never experienced that yet but we've only dry camped a couple of times for only a couple of days at a time.

However, both of my gray tanks showed full but I thought I could squeeze in a shower. As soon as I got soaped up I realized I was standing in water. By the time I got my hair rinsed out, I was standing in several inches of water. I do not think I'd want to be going even a short distance with the shower pan full of water....especially if there's a speed bump or other rough surface that I had to pass over. If you're tank guages work, I'd dump when they say to dump.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg