Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it easy to identify, the one that fills up quicker is usually the bathroom. GD told me the kitchen sink is the only thing going into the other one. Both the same size. external gate valve helps quite a bit.
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_ster View Post
    I found it easy to identify, the one that fills up quicker is usually the bathroom. GD told me the kitchen sink is the only thing going into the other one. Both the same size. external gate valve helps quite a bit.
    If y'all washed dishes as often as my wife does - and with as much water - you would have a harder time telling the tanks apart!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If y'all washed dishes as often as my wife does - and with as much water - you would have a harder time telling the tanks apart!

Rob
    Got a great laugh at this one.

We haven't tried the trick opening both grey valves with the add on valve closed. I feel like I will need a big warning label on the external valve first for myself to close off the gray valves prior to opening that black one. Knowing myself, in a rush I would forget and then I would get mixing of black and grey.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn’t thought about the technique Second Chance described-that is a great idea. We have the Valtera external gate valve on our already. I’ll try that this season. Thanks!
    Dave and Anne
    2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 3.55 Crew Cab/SB
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS w/King Size Bed and Dual A/C
    2 Golden Retrievers - Ivy 6 yrs and Ruby 2 yrs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I understand Second Chance's idea, the external gate valve goes on at the hose connection (the twist-on Valterra valve) and then with both grey tanks open the grey water flows into the designed tank and then backfeeds to the other tank because the tank valves are open and the external is closed?

My specs say I have 75 gallons total grey water for the 2018 303RLS. I assume that is both tanks combined. Does anyone know the size of each tank? 37 1/2 gallons each or is the bathroom larger?

Thanks
    Allyn & Sue
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 Lariat PS 6.7
    Andersen Ultimate Connection 2

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyn56 View Post
    So if I understand Second Chance's idea, the external gate valve goes on at the hose connection (the twist-on Valterra valve) and then with both grey tanks open the grey water flows into the designed tank and then backfeeds to the other tank because the tank valves are open and the external is closed?

My specs say I have 75 gallons total grey water for the 2018 303RLS. I assume that is both tanks combined. Does anyone know the size of each tank? 37 1/2 gallons each or is the bathroom larger?

Thanks
    You are correct on the procedure. The gray tanks in our 337 are 35 gallons each for a total of 70 - I don't know about the sizes in your rig.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eventually

Finally after years of use I finally labeled the gray tanks on our 337.

G1 = bath - middle pull
    G2 = kitchen - front pull
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Many of us who have two gray tanks (those on our 2016 337 are of equal size) have put an external gate valve (Valtera makes a good one - you can order it from Amazon) at the end of the waste water drain outside. With the black tank valve closed, we keep this external gate valve closed and both gray tanks open. This way, we don't have to worry about which gray tank fills up first - we have a combined capacity of 70 gallons (plus a couple of gallons for what's in the lower drain). When it comes time to drain tanks, I close the gray tanks, open the lower gate valve, and open the black tank to drain (along with turning on the flusher). When the black tank is empty, I close that and open the gray tank valves to drain the gray tanks and flush everything out. When everything is empty, I set things up as originally described (lower gate valve and black tank closed, gray tank valves open). The only time I vary this is when there's going to be a deep freeze. I then close all the OEM valves and drain the lower pipe(s) so the part that's outside the underbelly won't freeze and crack.

Rob
    Hey Rob. Picking up on this old thread and would like your opinion. I did the same as far as installing an external gate valve on my GD. When I dump my tanks I dump the black first of course and when its finished I close the external gate valve and open one of the grey tanks while leaving the black tank valve open to allow the grey water to backfill into the black tank and dump it again and then repeat this process with the second grey tank, essentially using the grey water to backflush the black tank. I recognize I might be at risk of having black water backflow into my grey tanks but I think the risk is pretty low. I could close the grey tank valves before I dump the black tank a 2nd & 3rd time....but I don't currently.

Whatd'yathink?
    2020 Chev Silverado 2500 (6.0L Gas)
    2021 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post
    Hey Rob. Picking up on this old thread and would like your opinion. I did the same as far as installing an external gate valve on my GD. When I dump my tanks I dump the black first of course and when its finished I close the external gate valve and open one of the grey tanks while leaving the black tank valve open to allow the grey water to backfill into the black tank and dump it again and then repeat this process with the second grey tank, essentially using the grey water to backflush the black tank. I recognize I might be at risk of having black water backflow into my grey tanks but I think the risk is pretty low. I could close the grey tank valves before I dump the black tank a 2nd & 3rd time....but I don't currently.

Whatd'yathink?
    I think that, with a flush system in the black tank, that's unnecessary extra work and cycles on the valves. As for cross-contamination, I just had a conversation with my then-next-door-neighbor on Monday. He was in a large DP coach and the topic was the electric-only site we have to move to today. He said that some of the high end motorhomes have everything going into one tank, anyway (of course, with a built-in macerator so they can dump under suboptimal conditions, too). Everything in one tank doesn't seem to be an issue there. Many of our GD rigs, however, have a smaller pipe and gate valve on the kitchen gray tank than on the bathroom tank. I would be concerned about solids getting in the small valve and outlet and clogging that up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12