Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seasonal Stabilization Methods

Question to you seasonal or long stay owners,

We’re gonna be at a seasonal site next summer for four months. Just wondering what you all do regarding stabilization and tire relief. I know LCI recommends using jacks when storing your rv for long periods of time. Is jacking up slightly, to relieve pressure on tires make sense, as well as making trailer more stable with less movement? If so, how many jacks/stands do you recommend for our size trailer (34’ total). If I go the jack route, I’m thinking maybe those like Rob (Cate & Rob) uses that are a hydraulic jack and stand in one.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires covered and on a board. If it is cold or a muddy site board for the jacks so they don't freeze or get nasty.

Nothing else needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do the same thing. When wintering in FL for six months-we at first park the RV tires on wooden boards to get them off the ground. Then we put tire covers on them for some protection from the sun. We use 4 screw jacks to help with any shaking of the unit and they work really well.
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve - The jacks under the axle ends work well to get the weight off the tires without raising the whole rig a noticeable amount . . . but they don't do too much for "stability" because the weight of the trailer is still sitting on the springs. It feels a little more solid . . . maybe because movement from tire flex is eliminated. I use a pin tripod which helps a lot if it is heavily loaded by lifting the landing gear slightly. To minimize side-to-side motion in the main living area, I use lightly loaded slide jacks under recliner/table slide. I don't bother with tire covers. The tires are in the shade under the slides on both sides and I will replace them long before they are affected by environmental deterioration.

I know this is completely different than the "conventional wisdom" that says tripods don't work, never use jacks under the slides and always cover the tires . . . . but, this is what works for us .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advise. I did find the screw jacks on Amazon after I posted last night. They look good as they can be incrementally adjusted for level. Is four enough, if used in conjunction wit the four stabilizer jacks on the rig already? I was contemplating covering the tires since I already have the covers, but as Rob pointed out the slides protect them from UV damage. I generally park the low side on wood or the plastic blocks for level, but good point about keeping them off the ground, so I will likely make sure all tires are on one of them. This is our first seasonal, so trying to be prepared to make it a great experience. On top of the trailer I have to have everything for a new pontoon boat that will be moored at a dock, so after we recover from Christmas, we’ll have to buy a few more items.

Putting on Moryde suspension and new shackles on next week...
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed