User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    I'm from California....."truly cold" is anything below 50F. It's all relevant.

Seriously.....there is a Solitude here in this RV Park and it's already been down to 18F and it's not been an issue in our Momentum with just the fire place and a portable space heater (we don't pay for electricity in this park so it doesn't cost us to run the two elect. heaters). However, starting Sun. afternoon we'll be below freezing until Thurs. morning and as low as 12F-14F at night. I suspect that we'll have to turn the furnace on and burn a little propane....the wife likes to keep it 68F-70F in here. In short, this 41' 5th wheel has been much more comfortable than I was expecting for a trailer with five slide outs.

I have read about those that have stayed in the minus (below 0) temps but they are taking other precautions (heated water hose), skirting, etc.

Hope this helps.
    One thing to be cautious of in cold weather (this pertains to the 5th Wheels) is to not rely on only electric heat. All of your plumbing is in the basement and your Electric heaters will not heat the basement. The furnace actually has vents into the basement which will keep your plumbing and tanks from freezing as well as keep your living area floors warm.

Another thought regarding cold weather is to simply roll up your fresh water hose in cold weather and use your onboard tank. This eliminates the possibility of having a frozen and/or split water hose. Even if you are staying long term somewhere, you can still fill your fresh tank once a week or so and avoid the possibility of having a frozen hose.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are planning on staying in Colorado for an extended period, you might want to look into getting a 100 lb Propane tank instead of relying on the 30 lb tanks. Usually, you can rent the 100 lb tanks from the Propane supply company and they will stop by weekly (or on an as needed basis) to fill the tank.

From experience, the furnace uses a lot of Propane keeping the coach warm, however, the 35,000 BTU furnace in our 310 GK is very capable of keeping us nice and toasty inside.

PS: I found the seat heater in the Loveseat to be a very nice feature in cold weather.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    One thing to be cautious of in cold weather (this pertains to the 5th Wheels) is to not rely on only electric heat. All of your plumbing is in the basement and your Electric heaters will not heat the basement. The furnace actually has vents into the basement which will keep your plumbing and tanks from freezing as well as keep your living area floors warm.

Another thought regarding cold weather is to simply roll up your fresh water hose in cold weather and use your onboard tank. This eliminates the possibility of having a frozen and/or split water hose. Even if you are staying long term somewhere, you can still fill your fresh tank once a week or so and avoid the possibility of having a frozen hose.
    I use a special waterline and wrap heat tape around it and I’ve never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Solitude 379fl

Jeff & Kathy
    Central Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a Montana boy, we would disconnect the water and sewer until time to refill and dump. That supply hose will freeze up first. Run like you are boon-docking if this is just a short time solution.

As others have said, run the furnace, it will keep the underside warm. If your model has tank heaters (electric mats) turn those on.

The vent fans are pretty leaky, air just gets out. Consider getting some soft foam (not the hard construction foam, get the sleeping foam from fabric store) and cutting out some squares that press into the holes for the air vents.

Close the dumps on your air conditioners. Close the air conditioner vents in the ceiling (if you can).

For the real red-neck solution, which I have done, buy some straw bales and put around the bottom of the unit, looks funny but you can go to -20 with that setup!
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    From a Montana boy, we would disconnect the water and sewer until time to refill and dump. That supply hose will freeze up first. Run like you are boon-docking if this is just a short time solution.

As others have said, run the furnace, it will keep the underside warm. If your model has tank heaters (electric mats) turn those on.

The vent fans are pretty leaky, air just gets out. Consider getting some soft foam (not the hard construction foam, get the sleeping foam from fabric store) and cutting out some squares that press into the holes for the air vents.

Close the dumps on your air conditioners. Close the air conditioner vents in the ceiling (if you can).

For the real red-neck solution, which I have done, buy some straw bales and put around the bottom of the unit, looks funny but you can go to -20 with that setup!
    One thing with straw bales is attracting vermin. Have had that issue before. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Solitude 379fl

Jeff & Kathy
    Central Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    You can also buy insulated tarps that attached to your unit with heavy duty Velcro or snaps. That and a heat lamp keep things nice and toasty down there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12