User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this post about spare dropping. Two weeks ago while prepping for trip checked tire, and it was about to fall out. Thanks to the Forum for the input. Saved us plenty.

Bill G & Jan

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jeff - I really like that solution! That platform looks custom made and attached by more than just the stock single centre receiver. If so, could you share more construction details? Based on other discussions on this forum, I am thinking that it would be wise to carry two spare tires . . . and as you note, the roadside repair would be with the easy-to-get-to one on the back.

BTW, if you are messing about with the standard spare underneath, lower it all the way to make sure the lift cable is not tangled and turn it over so that you can access the air valve without lowering the tire. I think GDRV continues to load the spare with valve up despite suggestions that this makes it a lot more work to check spare tire pressure.

Edit: Jeff - Just found your earlier posts on this subject including the 3rd picture which helps a lot. (I knew that I had seen this before ) Did you originally have the rear bumper or the rear receiver?

Rob
    My SuperDuty's spare tire was (past tense) also installed with the valve facing up. I believe that is intentional due to the possibility of road debris damaging the valve thus making the spare unusable. If not for that reason, why make it so difficult? (I turned over both spares--the one on the truck and the one on the trailer. If they get damaged...I guess I'll have my answer!)

My spare lowered without any issues and hasn't shown any signs (yet) of spontaneous lowering. (I'm going to pin it anyway!)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this is ok. Private message me and i will give yo my email address etc so i can be more specific on the construction of this.
    jeff
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this is an old thread, but I think it carries very good safety info and should be passed on to all that tow any kind of tt/5w with undermount spare tires. I had never considered checking my spare and was not advised to do this by my selling dealer. I have now pulled my 337 approx. 1500 miles. I happened on this thread while camping last week. Before breaking camp, I checked my spare and what did I find ...?.. it was loose. I tightened the cable on the spare and will now add this to my checklist before I leave home on any trip. Thanks for the post. I plan to advise my dealer that they should develop a safety checklist to go with every unit sold. This should be on that checklist.
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but I think it carries very good safety info and should be passed on to all that tow any kind of tt/5w with undermount spare tires. I had never considered checking my spare and was not advised to do this by my selling dealer. I have now pulled my 337 approx. 1500 miles. I happened on this thread while camping last week. Before breaking camp, I checked my spare and what did I find ...?.. it was loose. I tightened the cable on the spare and will now add this to my checklist before I leave home on any trip. Thanks for the post. I plan to advise my dealer that they should develop a safety checklist to go with every unit sold. This should be on that checklist.
    David - Did you see the earlier discussion about lowering the spare and turning it over so that you can check air pressure? Most owners have never lowered their spare tire . . . and thus, never topped up the air pressure . . . so the spare will not be ready to use if needed.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that to mine. It sure makes it handy to check air in it. Thanks Rob for a good heads up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    David - Did you see the earlier discussion about lowering the spare and turning it over so that you can check air pressure? Most owners have never lowered their spare tire . . . and thus, never topped up the air pressure . . . so the spare will not be ready to use if needed.

Rob
    I did, but thanks for the reminder. I plan to do this before I take the camper back to dealer for final 1 year warranty checkup. We are home until the week after Thanksgiving and I have some time to do this and a few other things (like cut the grass)... Much to do & so little time.
    D.Moore

Thanks for the response.
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first pic in this discussion through the eye bolt is myfix for the spare dropping. Also flipped the tire so the valve is facing down.Also found a huge hole in the coroplast when they cut to run the wire, tooksome tape and closed it up before running the tire up.

John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    2016 303 RLS (#7608) Build 3/16
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B
    B & W Companion Slider Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks like a great idea! I checked my spare tire and fliped it so I could check the air. After doing this I noticed a metal piece on the ground. looking closer this looks like part of the winch that helps keep the cable in place. I am ready to make a change and I like your idea. Can you please help me with where to purchase the parts I need. I sure would not want my spare tire to drop to the ground while driving. Appreciate and help ! Thanks Duke
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! The locking pin is only $1.18 + tax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GN6YS2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast