User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or for those of us who still like to use the hitch for a bike rack there is this option...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPQYZ6O..._eQCAFb641SNWC
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad this one got pushed to the top again. Its reminds me that I need to check mine again.

I did find that cracking it up tighter helps keep it from backing off. There are some good fixes in this thread, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

This is just another example of poor design. An extremely simple fix would using a worm gear in the gearbox. It is well known that a worm gear system cannot be driven by the the load. And BTW this is not a grand design problem. They buy their parts from RVjunk.com just like the rest of us.

Rant over...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were following friends who own another brand 5th wheel when their spare tire dropped ... at 65mph! Not a fun test of my driving skills. It luckily bounced off the side of the freeway out of harms way. Lesson learned for the friends - they don't use that under-carriage tire storage, they store the spare elsewhere, safe.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys ! I am thinking about installing the BAL's Hide-A-Spare Tire System. Camping world has it on sale $108.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why underslung full-size spare lifts for trucks have the spring on the cable. When the tire is cranked tight against the crossmember, and the spring gets compressed, it's not unwinding by itself. Odd thing, Lippert has these winches in models with and without springs (I underslung a spare on our last two campers using their winches). I normally check the undercarriage items as part of my pre-trip inspection, and will now make a points to lay a hand on the spare.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has one ever "fallen"/loosened after unwinding and properly/carefully rewinding tight up against crossmember? Mine never has once wound correctly.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note. I have a ‘24 Imagine MKE17. Towed 1200 miles from Michigan to Florida. Found that the spare tire had lowered about a foot when I was doing my unhook at the site. Not pleased. Very dangerous situation. I cranked it back up and will do the pin through the rod deal when I get back to Michigan. In the mean time, I’ve attached a locking wrench to it so that it can’t spin as a temporary fix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another reason to go with my plan. !!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genreratortirerack 001.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	49884
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234